Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

I’ve Changed

Whyzit
Whyzit Member Posts: 156
Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Taken from “Daily Comforts for Caregivers” by Pat Samples

“I’ve changed since I’ve become a caregiver. I’m not sure exactly how, but  I know I’m not the same. I’ll never be the same person I was before. 

That’s partly a good thing. I’ve learned a lot. I’m stronger in certain ways. A few of my opinions have changed. I’ve gotten tougher in some ways, softer in others. These changes haven’t come easy. I’ve had to give up some things along the way that mattered to me. I can’t do everything I used to. It might be worthwhile to make a list of all the changes I see in myself. That way I can celebrate the gains and mourn the losses. I can mark the milestones and know where I’m starting from today. I’ll know myself better.”   Entry for January 14

This book has short messages for each day of the year. Sometimes it helps me to put things in perspective and gets me going on my daily adventure as a caregiver. Praying God will bless you with a peaceful day.

Comments

• amicrazytoo
    amicrazytoo Member Posts: 169
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments
    Thank you!
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    We also wish a peaceful day for you. Thank you.
  • abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Whyzit, thank you for sharing this. I often pray for a peaceful mind and heart. It makes a huge difference for me.
  • ImInTheGarden
    ImInTheGarden Member Posts: 9
    Third Anniversary First Comment
    I was thinking maybe others can see the changes in me, too? Maybe more than I can see myself?  Someone asked me a question about myself and it took me a week to think about it & formulate an answer. Seems I don’t have time to dwell on too much now; I’m just barely keeping up with caregiving. I like the idea, though. It absolutely changes us. Thanks for sharing.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more