Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Tremors(1)

I am new to this forum. Has anyone experienced hand and arm tremors with late stage dementia?

Comments

• LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Greetings Norma24.

Welcome to the forum.

Yes my husband has hand tremors. He has had them for about a year (at least). Dear Husband (DH) is probably stage 6c on the Functional Assessment Staging (FAST) scale which means he has moderately severe dementia.

This forum has been especially helpful for me. It is an excellent resource for information, support and community. Again, welcome.

-LT

• David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary
    Hi Nonna. Sorry you have to be here, but glad you found us. My DW’s first neurological symptom was a hand tremor, which became a right side tremor, then affected her speech. There was a diagnosis of possible Parkinson’s, followed by testing and a repudiation of that diagnosis. Because of the tremors, the chart says “Parkinsonism”. She is now late stage 6 (at least), and the tremor is much worse, making eating and drinking difficult. I know it’s not he question you asked, exactly, but it is definitely part of the disease for some of us.
  • Cynbar
    Cynbar Member Posts: 539
    500 Comments Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    Yes, my DH has hand tremors and has had for some time. We thought awhile back that he might have Parkinson's but the neurologist said absolutely not, tremors often go along with dementia. Luckily they don't affect his ability to eat or drink, but I know that could happen in the future.
  • Nonna24
    Nonna24 Member Posts: 11
    Second Anniversary First Comment
    Thank you for all of the replies. This has been such a hard road to travel on!!!  We saw signs about five years ago however these last two years my DH has declined tremendously. I would say he is between late stage six and early seven. I have to do everything for him bathe him, dress him (also incontinent). He can somewhat feed himself however very messy and will sometimes forget how to use his utensils.  I have to be honest and say I get so sad and lonely at times. Thank goodness I have my daughters and grandchildren!!  It’s like an empty feeling inside. I just push myself to keep going to take care of him. I am very thankful for all the great times and travel we did before this horrible disease reared it’s ugly head!!!!  I try not to feel sorry for myself but their are days that it’s hard not to. I have been told to check with his dr to see if he will give me a referral for hospice services. I’m not sure he will qualify yet. I have an appt on Tuesday to check it out. Thank you for letting me vent!?
  • Whyzit
    Whyzit Member Posts: 156
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions 5 Likes

My DH has hand tremors and he is stage 5 heading into 6. The evaluation for Parkinson’s is negative. He drinks from a weighted cup I ordered on Amazon and it has proven to be very worth while. Silverware is also available which may make eating easier.

Welcome and God’s blessings to you.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Nonna, welcome to the forum. Sorry you need to be here, but you found a good place. I just wanted to tell you that you don't necessarily need a recommendation from the doctor for hospice. You can call the hospice agencies yourself to ask for an evaluation. If you get turned down from one agency, you can ask another for an evaluation. Sometimes it takes more than one try.
  • nancelot
    nancelot Member Posts: 7
    Nonna, I am also pretty new here, just joined yesterday.  It sounds like you and I are at the same stage with our DH's. Mine has EO and has been declining fairly rapidly in the last 2 years.  His pill-rolling has turned into tremors, and he is also in stage 6.  He is losing the ability to use utensils to eat and wants to eat all the time, making a big mess with meals and snacks.  I have to bathe and dress him most of the time, however he is still very mobile and  sometimes takes off his pull-up and gets his pants back on without me knowing until I see the wet pants or the puddle or worse on the floor.  I'm more than a little concerned for our health because of the sanitation issues.  I feel like all I do is clean.  I still have a 16 yr old  daughter at home who is helpful, but I try to shield her from the worst of it, as it is, she has lost much of her social life with her dad and COVID.  I also lost my 23 year old son who was living at home to help take care of his dad almost a year ago and the grief of his loss is staggering to me, not to mention losing my husband a little more each day.  I'm trying to keep him at home as long as I can since he is so physically fit, but there are days that I just want to get away.
  • mrl
    mrl Member Posts: 166
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

Nan,

I am praying for you as we speak ...

This is a dreadful journey and this website is a Godsend I can't tell you the relief and love

I have gained from it. Please stay with us,

Sincerely,

Michele

• Nonna24
    Nonna24 Member Posts: 11
    Oh nancelot my heart breaks for you!!!!  I completely understand what you are going through. I also feel like all I am doing is cleaning up messes!!!  My DH doesn’t take his depends off thankfully!!  He has been falling a lot lately and wants to pace all of the time!!  I try and pray so hard to have patience, however some days I could just run away. This is the hardest, most challenging thing we have ever gone through!!  Verbally for the most part I don’t understand what he is saying. Occasionally he will say something that will make sense. It is a ver lonely, sad journey!!!  I feel like some of the people that I thought were my friends have backed away!!!  It sounds like you and I are in a very similar phase right now. I am sooo sorry about your son!!!!  It sounds like you have had so much on you!!!  I will pray for you!!!!
  • ImInTheGarden
    ImInTheGarden Member Posts: 9
    Third Anniversary First Comment

Nonna- my husband has recently started having tremors in his arms & hands. This is new. I’m not sure what stage he is in, but he can’t get up without my help. Or sit down. He wears pull ups. I’m starting to have to feed him sometimes as his coordination is going. I understand the heartbreak of this disease, and I,  too wish I could run away some days. 

• 4Grams
    4Grams Member Posts: 17
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments

Nonna24, My husband has progressed rapidly. Tremors have started. I do all the ADL for him. I have some sitters coming in but will not leave him. He is constantly walking and looking for something. I cannot understand him. It is frustrating. 

Thanks Whyzit about the weighted cup. 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney