Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Escaping today's struggles

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
PBS recently aired "The best of 50s Pop", and I recorded it. We're now in the middle of watching it again. My wife is enjoying watching it, and it gets our minds off caregiving duties and the political state of our country. So get on youtube or get another source for music that will take you back in time. It's a great way to unwind.

Comments

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 742
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    Right? I think the music of our teens is a key. My dh and I love not only music, but endless snatches of commercial jingles of the 60's and 70's.
  • Donr
    Donr Member Posts: 182
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes
    To get away from all the politics and crap going on I turn the TV off and put on easy rock music. I also will turn the TV off and no music if I am working on a project.  Silence,,,,,,,,,,
  • abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Music keeps me sane and human.
  • Doityourselfer
    Doityourselfer Member Posts: 224
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments
    Music is my drug!
  • Cherjer
    Cherjer Member Posts: 227
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

For the past 4 months I have been reading all the posts and have finally got the nerve to join. My husband was diagnosed with AD in 2015. I must admit I thought there would be a cure in the near future. Our neurologist was on the "cutting edge" of a cure...a scientist besides being a great neurologist. We were able to do a lot of traveling and enjoying our family and friends. However, I came to the realization that there will never be a cure in my husband's life time. He has the APO 4 gene which makes me nervous about my son's chance of AD. Right now my DH is showing great progression. I am not sure what stage he is...I appreciate all the knowledge that I have gleaned from this site and thank you all for giving me insight. 

• ButterflyWings
    ButterflyWings Member Posts: 1,752
    500 Likes Fifth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Insightfuls Reactions

Thanks Ed - I love music! For me, and also Sirius XM radio is a lifesaver for us. My DH can listen for hours, in the car and/or I have found that YouTube video segments of his favorites can distract and divert him anytime. Here is one of my favorite happy music videos! https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLujtE5xnwHSKZiss7xZ6ShGUwLb96SI0r&v=y6Sxv-sUYtM

Welcome to Cherjer- I am sorry you have a need to be here with us, but glad you connected. I encourage you to start your own thread, so you can get lots more responses. In the meantime, here is a link to help identify the stages. My LO is Stage 6 but thankfully still continent (though leaks and near misses), but also shows some behaviors of Stage 5 which is normal for PWDs to straddle a couple of stages at any given time. It is said they are in a new stage when they begin to show any of its traits, even if not all. Good luck to you! Infographic for Alzheimer's Stages - Kindly Care

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,671
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Welcome Cherjer,   To start a new thread you sign in, look at top of page, sort of in the middle and you will see a small green rectangle that says add post.  Just hit that and you are set.
  • Ed1937
    x
  • Ed1937
    Cherjer, welcome to the forum. You will get a lot of help and understanding here. To start a new thread, look at the top of this page, then click on Spouse or Partner Caregiver forum. Now you will see a "New Topic" button. Click on that, then give it a subject matter, and compose your post.
  • Bevy
    Bevy Member Posts: 11
    Legacy Membership 10 Comments
    Butterflywings, Thank you for the music link. I couldn't help felling happiness just watching the video.
  • Ed1937
    ButterflyWings wrote:

Here is one of my favorite happy music videos! https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLujtE5xnwHSKZiss7xZ6ShGUwLb96SI0r&v=y6Sxv-sUYtM 

If you watch that video, you have no choice but to feel better. Thank you!

• ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    Thank You Ed for this link. I love this song. I was playing it again this morning and I got up and was trying to keep up with the movements on the video. My little dog thought I was crazy so she started running around barking at me. Needless to say we both got some exercise and it made me happy and made me laugh out loud. I saved this link and will use it often. Thanks & Hugs Zetta
  • amicrazytoo
    amicrazytoo Member Posts: 169
    Just a week ago I watched a documentary on Peter, Paul and Mary on PBS. Lifts the spirits!
  • Ed1937

ButterflyWings wrote:

Here is one of my favorite happy music videos! https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLujtE5xnwHSKZiss7xZ6ShGUwLb96SI0r&v=y6Sxv-sUYtM 

Since I can cast that video to the TV for my wife to see, I did that. She absolutely loved it!

• Doityourselfer
    Doityourselfer Member Posts: 224
    I love Pharrell Williams!   Happy is one of my favorites.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more