Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

close to the end

We are nearly at the end now. Jerry is finally  sleeping a lot and mostly bedridden.    I was hoping to keep him as peaceful and pain free as possible.   Its my bad  for  not giving  him  enough drugs at the correct dosage he NEEDS.   this week has been torture for both of us because of my hang up about overdosing him.  

Its been gut wrenching to have him incessantly wandering  begging please please please let me go,  and yelling come on  come on to his feet and legs  to walk..  He has fallen 4 times , the last i had to call the ifre dept  for a lift assist . He has barely eaten in days and can "t  manage a straw  very well. 

This has been the worst week on this ugly journey, and the hardest lessons I've learned so far.  So as of this writting   he is now sleeping peacefully  most of the day, and is  bedridden ,  and I believe he is ready and so am I. (yeah right, are we ever ready)

Comments

• nancelot
    nancelot Member Posts: 7
    Second Anniversary First Comment
    I am so sorry for the pain that you are enduring at the end and have had to endure the whole journey.  I hope and wish for peace for both of you.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    So sorry gm. Will be thinking of you both.
  • mrl
    mrl Member Posts: 166
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

GM

We always think we are ready, but we never are I pray for you  please know you did

everything right and let Jerry pass peacefully God Bless You,

m

• abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Dear GM, I sorry to hear this sad news. Were you able to achieve the right dosage to help him stay pain free? I hope you have hospice to help you. Other caregivers have had the same issue with worrying about too much medication. Im thinking of you both and will keep you in my prayers.
  • Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,671
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    I’m so sorry (((GM))).
  • David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary
    GM, you’ve done a great job caring for Jerry and his peace is coming. Sorry you have to deal with this.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I'm sorry it has come to this. It's hard to get things right when we are worried about overdosing. Please cut yourself some slack. You did your best. I  hope things go comfortably for him.
  • LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Dear GM.

You are such a brave and loving caregiver. Jerry is blessed to have you by his side during this journey. I have not been in your shoes. I can only imagine it is heartbreaking and exhausting and scary. 

I pray that God may comfort you both. May God take away the suffering and may He bring you both peace.

God bless you both.

-LT

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living