Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

COVID positive

I posted on 16th that DH and I got tested. Saturday I was called and told we were both positive. I was offered The transfusion of antibodies and said yes for both of us. I was so very sick but the only 1 of us that can drive bundled us both up and drove 15 miles to hospital er. We both received transfusion side by side. 1 hour for the IV and 1 hour observation for any side effects. Drove home and shivered with chills. I am lucky DH is easy going because he kept forgetting why we were at the hospital. He thought we were giving blood. Although I am his DPOA his daughter approved. Today Sunday I have to say what a great decision. Feeling better except fatigue. What an experience. Highly recomend this ttreatment. At least so far. DH has trouble telling me how he feels, but he kept sleeping most of the last 3 days!

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    So glad you were able to get it. Here's hoping you have a swift recovery.
  • Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,671
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Thank you for checking in with us and letting us know.  So glad it has helped you to start feeling better.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    It's great that you could get that. It might not have been fun, but the payoff is big.
  • Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

Here is the latest scientific article

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa2031893

You are ill and need help  Call the hospital and speak to the outpatient /discharge people.  

I am concerned because the FDA emergency authorization states

Considering these issues and recognizing the immediate need for convalescent plasma to treat hospitalized patients with COVID-19, we intend to exercise temporary enforcement discretion regarding the IND requirements for the use of investigational convalescent plasma.  FDA intends to exercise this temporary enforcement discretion provided the following circumstances are present:

1. The investigational convalescent plasma is intended for the treatment of hospitalized patients with COVID-19.

This enforcement discretion policy does not extend to convalescent plasma that is not collected and administered as described above.

There are exceptions for outpatient clinical trials
  • Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    Glad you are feeling better.  I am curious to know whether you received Remdesivir or convalescent plasma?
  • BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    Crushed, they may have received the monoclonal antibody treatment rather than convalescent plasma. It is recommended with the goal of preventing hospitalization. We have an infusion center within a hospital here, just for the infusion of this drug.
  • BethL
    BethL Member Posts: 838
    Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    The monoclonal antibody treatments in use include the drug cocktail of casirivimab and imdevimab, as well as bamlanivimab.
  • Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

if  MCA they should nave gotten the FDA fact sheet

https://www.fda.gov/media/143893/download

MCA is for mild to moderate covid

Casirivimab and imdevimab are investigational medicines used to treat mild to moderate symptoms of COVID-19 in non-hospitalized adults ......who are at high risk for developing severe COVID-19 symptoms or the need for hospitalization.

She said she was "very sick"   

She also described it as a "Transfusion"  So I was concerned.  plasma is given by transfusion 

Does scientific evidence show that convalescent plasma is a safe and effective treatment for Covid-19?

The Mayo Clinic released data in June that showed plasma treatment was safe following transfusion in a group of 20,000 patients, which included substantial enrollment from Black and Latino patients.

Drugs are give by  infusion. 

Just concerned about safety

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,671
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Understand as you do Beth.  We also have this available in our health system in an outpatient infusion clinic setting.  My understanding is it is very beneficial as long as you receive it early.  This is why if you have symptoms need to get tested quickly so can receive this in a timely manner.  Have also seen where they are working on trying to get this into other forms one of which is a nasal spray.  That would be fantastic if they can get this worked out. 
    As many ugly heads have been brought up by this pandemic, there will be good things come out of it also.
    Seems convalescent plasma is not going to work out as well as they had hoped.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more