Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Palliative Care experiences?

I took my DH to a neurologist in our new geography. When he learned he didn’t have a GP, he referred “us” to palliative care. Kind of hospice “lite.” The brochure makes it sound awesome: a practice that focuses on person-centered care, including medical, social, spiritual, and the care partner. Any experiences or tips regarding such a concept?

Comments

• Tross760
    Tross760 Member Posts: 56
    10 Comments Second Anniversary
    I just had a consult for my mom today for palliative care. I am curious as well as this is new to me. She went over all my moms history, is going to get some adl supports (shower chair, walker) and coordinates between doctors for us. She said to call her with anything I need for mom as they aim to keep their patients from going to the hospital.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Yes, it's a very good concept when dealing with long-term progressive or untreatable conditions.  They will treat to alleviate symptoms--hence palliative--but recognize irreversibility of the overall situation.  Many will make home visits.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more