Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

What's it really like?

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
I got a text from one of our daughters. Here is part of what she said:  "I had a bad dream last week that I was walking and didn't know where I was and it was dark..I got up to go to the bathroom (for real) and I think I was still dreaming. I couldn't find the bathroom and I was looking in other doors. I was so confused and scared ..Todd said he thinks I was sleep walking but I remember all of it. I told him if that's at all what mom is experiencing, it's terrible ."

Comments

• June45
    June45 Member Posts: 364
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions
    Thanks Ed...I needed to hear and think about that. It seems much of the time I am thinking about how my husband's constant confusion affects me and I forget to think about it from his perspective and be more patient with him.
  • NinjaWife
    NinjaWife Member Posts: 4
    Third Anniversary First Comment

Ed, Your daughter may have been sleep walking. To this day, I remember all of my sleepwalks as a child.  

June, in the words of Marvin Gaye, “I second that emotion.”  The only thing that keeps me sane with my DH in late stage 6, is the fact that he is going through as much or more than we are.  He was so confused the other day, because he thinks we are not living in our home, that he asked me to make an appointment with a doctor to see why.  He wanted to go home last evening, so I took him for a ride for about 45 minutes.  When I turned down our street he said, “great we’re almost home.”

• Lynne D
    Lynne D Member Posts: 276
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    Today my husband said “I am in my own world.” He is out of sorts and from his communication style I can tell he feels detached and alone. I tried my best to reassure him and hugged him hard. He went to bed after being up for about an hour. I hope some rest brings him back to our reality.
  • amicrazytoo
    amicrazytoo Member Posts: 169
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments
    This post really hit home with me. Over the weekend, I had misplaced my keys (since found!) then visiting with my niece and her husband, talking about boating (the one thing us old fogies have in common with them) I really struggled to remember some memories. My DH could only remember replacing the engines on the boat. He was not familiar with waterways nearby, although we have boated there many times. I started to wonder if I should get a base line evaluation on my own cognitive ability. Scary.
  • David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary

Amicrazytoo-

I’ve been thinking the same thing!  I know that stress and exhaustion can cause trouble with executive function and memory, but it would be nice to know. On the positive side, we had our annual visit from the nurse hired by insurance company. Early in the visit she told me three words to remember, because she was going to ask me later, if she didn’t forget. I was ready to repeat back, but she forgot to ask me. BTW, “ball, cup, apple”

Dave

• amicrazytoo
    amicrazytoo Member Posts: 169
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments

Dave,

The more I think about, I think I will ask about being tested next checkup. At least then I can better prepare myself and family for what may or may not be coming down the pike. My DH suffers from Anosognosia. (spelling?) I don't want to be the same. Good job with the three words!

• Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    Baseline cognitive testing is part of the annual Medicare Wellness Exam.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more