Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Adding Depakote with Seroquel

Has anyone had a loved one that takes both Depakote and Seroquel?  If so, I am wondering what reaction you see in the person you care for that takes both medications, and was it also for agitation and aggression?

DH is already on Seroquel but the Neurologist suggested adding Depakote along with Seroquel for DH anxiety and aggression, especially with Sun-downing.  DH can get very agitated and aggressive with the sun-downing and it can go on for hours.

He also has Primary Aggressive Aphasia (so I really do not understand most of what he says) along with FTD.   He is in-between stage 5 and 6.

Comments

• aod326
    aod326 Member Posts: 235
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments

DH was already taking Depakote for seizures. As with most people, he had tried a lot of different meds for seizures, and then a lot of different dosages. He currently takes 500mg in the morning and another 500mg at night. (He's been as high as 2000mg total daily.)

He was started on Seroquel last February for agitation. The agitation became full blown rage and, over time, his dose went up to 300mg daily. It's difficult to really know how much it helped, because I don't know how much rage he would have had without it. He only experienced side effects at the 300mg dosage, when it overly sedated him.

His EO dementia is progressing quickly and he's no longer communicative and can't walk, so rage isn't a problem anymore, so we're titrating down.

Good luck.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,758
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

this is from drugs.com;

Using divalproex sodium together with QUEtiapine may increase side effects such as dizziness, drowsiness, confusion, and difficulty concentrating. Some people, especially the elderly, may also experience impairment in thinking, judgment, and motor coordination. 

• JJAz
    JJAz Member Posts: 285
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments
    Depakote was added to Seroquel for my DH due to behavioral issues, and it was helpful.  Prescribed by a neurologist who was highly trained in neuropsych medication management.  Wish more people knew about it.
  • ezy_priscilla
    ezy_priscilla Member Posts: 3
    First Comment First Anniversary

Hi,

This is a very common symptom in patients with Alzheimers Disease. From experience, its best to try to find ways for them to remain calm instead of arguing with them. If symptoms feel moderate to severe, a clinical trial may also be a solution. Sometimes treatments that are available are not sufficient enough to calm the behaviors. However there is a trial right now for patients with agitation. It is a free treatment given to the patients. If you are interested in more information, please feel free to reach out to me or give me a call at 786-483-8162. 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more