Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

jerry's story

He was born in 1946 in Pennsylvania  to a polish mother and and  an Italian father. He had a big sister Darlene and many aunts, uncles and cousins.Thjey moved to California (Reseda) around 56 and lived an all american suburban lifestyle.

He wasn't great  in school because no one realized he had terrible vision.It led him to believe he was stupid  and he never overcame his reading and spelling deficit.  Looking at old pictures I don't see him in glasses until mid twenties.  Such a shame.

He started at General Motors in 1965 but was enlisted in the Navy  and was sent to Viet Nam  and all over the pacific theater.He loved his time in the Navy   minus the viet nam part.  Came home to his young wife and had two sons Garrett and Mathew  and General Motors hired him.He worked there for a total of 42 years.

His second marriage was to me( I also built cars for general motors).  We married in 88 and had a son Adam.   As General Motors closed plants we moved from Cal. to Ohio, To  Wisconsin and landed in Colorado. (  hence the name GM Gypsies) 

We are just average people ,   In our neighborhood people will remember him  working in the garden   digging dirt out of the culvert or riding his bike. He has been a good decent hard working  family man.  

He died on Sat. the 23rd of Jan  from late stage Alzheimmers and stage four lymphoma.  All three sons and family were able to visit in spite of covid .  Because of Mt Evans Hospice  in Evergreen Co. he was able to die at home. ( I am forever grateful.) I also had the help from our good neighbors .  They are very special friends, I couldn't have done it without them. 

Comments

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Thank you for telling us about Jerry. I know you will miss him terribly....will grieve. We remain here for you...to help in any way we can.
  • ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

Dear gm gypsie,   aka    Jerrys Wife.

This is a beautiful story about Jerry. This is a story that you can share with  everyone and all that knew Jerry.   It shows that Jerry was loved by many and that Jerry was a very special man. Jerry will be in your heart for the rest of your life. Please take care of yourself. Hugs Zetta 

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    That's nice to share his story. It almost makes me feel like I kind of knew him.
  • abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Thank you for sharing this with us.  It sounds as if he were a truly good and decent man.
  • Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,671
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Thank you for telling us about Jerry.
  • Laurention
    Laurention Member Posts: 23
    Ninth Anniversary 10 Comments

GM Gypsy....

I'm sorry for your loss..

I worked with and knew, many G.M. couples. In a lot of cases one spouse worked days, and the other afternoons.  In the early days I was bumped around the G.M Oshawa complex, but I never had to up root and move. Kudos to you and Jerry,  you guys did what you had to do.

Jerry sounds like a great guy, he was loved and will be missed

May he rest in peace 

Mike 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care