Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

O.T. This is our town

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
This is a pretty nice article on our town. If you get a "Log in" screen, just close it. You should be able to see it. https://www.nwitimes.com/business/local/watch-now-eclectic-unique-shops-make-downtown-griffith-a-vibrant-destination/article_ae90d083-e35d-5215-97a5-c804d5e825f5.html 

Comments

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Such a vibrant and interesting town. I opened the American National site to see if they made bentwood furniture. No but those light fixtures a really something.

After Griffith I am going to visit Marietta Ohio.

BTW....you are almost a Chicagoan....my home town.

• Ed1937
    jfkoc wrote:

BTW....you are almost a Chicagoan....my home town.

How long has it been since you lived there? I graduated from Whiting High School (1955), and Whiting is about as close to Chicago as you can get. Spent quite a bit of time there then. Now it would take me about 20 minutes or so to drive to the city limits. Don't go there anymore.

• jfkoc
    A long time. I was a good 40 minutes from Chicago proper in Lake Forest. It is such a beautiful city!
  • David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary

Nice article. Griffith seems like nice place. Only thing is, nowhere does it say where the heck it is!  References to “the region” and “The Times” are non-elucidating. The references to Lake Mi chigan give a clue, as does the website NWI.com. Northwest Indiana?

In this internet age people need to understand their posts can be seen worldwide and they can’t assume that the reader is local and knows the references.  

• Ed1937
    We first moved to Griffith in 1961. Moved out in 1986, then back to the surrounding area in 1991. 2013 we moved back in town. It is a nice town - arguably the best small town around here. I'm sure the article was meant for locals, so no need to say where it was. It's about 10 miles or so from the Illinois/Indiana state line, and about 13 miles south of Lake Michigan.
  • Mike&BrendaTX
    Mike&BrendaTX Member Posts: 8
    Fifth Anniversary First Comment
    jfkoc wrote:
    A long time. I was a good 40 minutes from Chicago proper in Lake Forest. It is such a beautiful city!

Interestingly, I spent my school years in Round Lake.  We used to play Lake Forest all the time, since they were in our conference.  I also caddied at Knollwood Club in Lake Forest during high school.  Small world.

• Ed1937
    Hey Mike! How are you doing? Well, I hope.
  • jfkoc
    Ah, Knollwood. I remember it well....swimming not golf.
  • Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,671
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Nice to hear from you Mike

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia