Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

PWD reaction to Zoom calls

Lately, DW has had extremely negative behavior when I am on a video chat or even on the phone. Last night I was on a video chat with my brothers, and DW started to shake and whimper and try to get my attention. She was very agitated. I muted about every 5 minutes to calm her down, but she just would not get calm. 

This happens now every time I all on the phone too. I am trying to get a car repaired and sold, so have been on the phone with the shop and the buyer quite a bit. She has the same reaction, but it’s harder to calm her down while on the phone. 

Has anyone else faced this and what did you do?

Comments

• caberr
    caberr Member Posts: 211
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments

Yes, seems like my husband has a 6th sense and finds me every time I'm on the phone.  He comes into the room and stands there, needs help with something or will ask me a question.  I'll tell him I'm on the phone and he says oh sorry and will leave but always comes back and does the same thing.  It is hard when I'm on the phone making an appointment or something important.  He  wants to be on the zoom call when I'm on with my sisters and cousins.  I let him come in and say hello and then loses interest. I think it's too confusing for him.  

I've told him I am going to be on the phone or computer and that seems to work most of the time.   I think he just feels left out.

• JoseyWales
    JoseyWales Member Posts: 602
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    I can do almost nothing on the phone when DH is around. He does the same kinds of things. I can do very little on the computer, too. It makes it super hard on days like today when I'm trying to work from home.
  • JJAz
    JJAz Member Posts: 285
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments

Yes, it's threatening to them that you have outside contacts.  Invite her into the phone call whenever you can.  "This is my wonderful wife." "She's always so helpful."  Whatever works.

Blessings,

Jamie

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living