Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Moving too Fast

Hi All,

I am so confused....my DH has EOAD - Over the last few weeks we have been working to get his medicine adjusted to control anger, anxiety and agitation.  He just seems to be declining so quickly.

He paces non-stop, all day and doesn't sleep much.  His appetite is declining.  He does eat some days a full meal.  His interest in fluids has declined.  He is having trouble now swallowing his pills.

Hospice was recommended a couple of weeks ago, but I thought they admitted him "liberally" - I didn't really think the end was imminent.

How can he be so actively pacing and be near the end?

I'm confused... I thought he would be bedridden before the end.  Is he pacing because he is afraid of forgetting how to walk?  He is having trouble with other motor skills...sitting, getting into bed.

This is heart breaking.

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    So, so sorry, but glad you are going to have some help no matter what the source. I hope they'll find some things that will ease his suffering, that's got to be hard to watch. Keep us posted when you can.
  • Nonna24
    Nonna24 Member Posts: 11
    Second Anniversary First Comment
    Where we live hospice is not just for the end of life. My husband was also referred to hospice. We just started services. Believe me they are a Godsend!!!!  The nurse comes out twice a week checking him, seeing what changes have occurred, checking on the meds ect. Then there is an aide that is also coming twice a week to bathe him, shave him, change his clothes ect. Then they want to know what they can do to help me. We also have a social worker that will be coming out every two weeks. She is working on getting me a volunteer that works with hospice to come out a couple days a week to stay with him for several hours so that I can get out and do what I need to do or to just get out and relax. They also offer respite care with  some of the nursing homes that they have a contract with. Medicare pays up to 5 nights at respite care. You can use them whenever you feel you need a break. They do everything for you. If you can’t get them to the respite facility, they will provide an ambulance to take them. This is no cost to umm you. Completely covered by Medicare or whatever your insurance is. For your own sake, I would highly recommend giving hospice a try. I too was under the assumption that it meant they were at the end of life but it is not like that at all. I hope this helped in some way!!
  • sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 742
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions
    I'm so sorry to hear that he's doing badly. One of the best things my family found with hospice was that they were very good about providing information about what to expect. My mom had been very restless and kept getting up day and night. The hospice nurse told us that the restlessness was very common and she provided us some medication we could give if my mom seemed uncomfortably restless to help her relax a bit.
  • Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,671
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    My grandmother did the pacing thing for quite a few years.  Got up a lot at night.  Eventually she was bedridden.  Each person has their own course though.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    So many people think hospice is the end. This is not so anymore, especially for patients with dementia. Hospice is almost always very helpful in many ways, so be thankful you have it. Some people are in hospice for two or more years. Sorry he is progressing like that.
  • ALH66
    ALH66 Member Posts: 1
    Fourth Anniversary First Comment

My husband went from eating everything in sight, pacing, screaming, chasing and scaring girls at assisted living where I had placed him 8 months before, too agitation so bad had to get him into geri psych, where he immediately quit eating, drinking, taking meds, and passed two weeks later. Yes, unfortunately it can go that fast. And during covid none of this was easy  

Don’t want to upset you, but you asked for experiences. At the hospital they said they see this immediate, fast decline often.  

Prayers you get meds adjusted and get to a place you can relax. Take care of yourself. 

Angie 

• Firedoggy
    Firedoggy Member Posts: 8
    Fifth Anniversary First Comment

My DW with EO was on hospice for a year before she passed. EO seems to move at a pace that is faster and erratic with things lost in clumps not slowly. The hospice people were great helping with bathing house safety and things like that

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more