Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Tracking device(1)

Does anyone have suggestions for a tracking device? My husband is still able to take walks by himself but I would like to be able to see where he is sometimes. We live in a harbor and he follows the road around to the end of the harbor and back home. He carries a flip phone that has no tracking capability. I did buy a Gizmo watch that can be used as a simple phone and tracker and I have thought of having him carry it in his pocket since he wears a watch that he likes. I don’t want to confuse him with new things. I realize that the time is coming that walks alone won’t be possible but I would like him to have this independence as long as possible. Thanks for any suggestions. I couldn’t find any info on the solutions site.

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ElaineD
    ElaineD Member Posts: 206
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

Hi Gig Harbor,

Answering your question:  I don't have personal experience with GPS trackers for the elderly but I've check out several sites:

https://www.caringvillage.com/product-review/top-10-products-track-elderly-location/ 

Below is one device described at caring village.

https://www.angelsense.com/pricing/

Good luck!

Elaine

• clarkfla
    clarkfla Member Posts: 5
    Legacy Membership First Comment

We are close to each other! I am on Bainbridge Island. My hubby wears a device that will detect a fall. It is a pendant by Medic Alert. The charger is by his bed, and if he needs it, the alert will contact me by cell phone.

Hubby loves to pick blackberries in the summer. He would often just leave the house with a bucket and come back later full of blackberries. While this is one of his favorite things to do, he cannot and should not go without his pendant. Once he was on the highway picking blackberries and the neighbors came to tell us.

We have also told him if he gets lost or afraid, or has pain to push the button for help. Picking berries by the roadside he could fall in a ditch. He also has a pacemaker which makes me concerned for his safety. 

Let's keep in touch. 

Laura

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Gig H, I think I have seen posts about GPS inserts you can get for shoes also.  If you think he might forget to carry a device, that might be a possibility.  I just googled "
    GPS shoes" and got some links, but I have no personal experience with these.
  • Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Hi Laura,

Let’s keep in touch. I love Bainbridge Island. Going across the bridge is like leaving things behind for a calmer place. I will look at the medic alert. I am also going to get a medic alert tag and hopefully he will wear it. 

Lorraine 

• Gig Harbor
    Gig Harbor Member Posts: 564
    Eighth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes

Hi M1,

I am going to google the shoe inserts. That would be an easy thing to maybe just stick in his pocket or wallet.

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    My only advice is if you buy a device confirm which cellular service it operates on and that they have a strong signal in your area. Last year a purchased a tracking pendant the looked like a piece of jewelry for DW. The device operated off AT&T cellular network. The device worked great if you were in an area with a good AT&T signal but unfortunately their signal is weak or nonexistent around our home. The company did allow return & refund so I return it.
  • GMGYPSY
    GMGYPSY Member Posts: 16
    Fifth Anniversary First Comment

Hi gig harbor  I had very good luck with   GPS  smart soles. com  2134893019.   The are insoles you put in his shoes , they need to be charged  at least every other day but they  are not cheep. ( around 300) plus a monthly service  which wasnt much. 

Still these soles would tell me an address on my phone and even give me a map of the streets he traveled in real time.   I had tried several other devices, phones, and watches and so on but the soles worked well for us

I had some difficulty with the first pair and they   replaced them  no problem.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more