Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Respite Care while traveling

Kibbee
Kibbee Member Posts: 229
Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

Just wondering if any one in SE Wisconsin has found any respite care providers that can be used while traveling, specifically a facility that my DH could stay at for a long weekend or a full week.  Some of the senior living facilities near me advertise that they have it, but it is only if they happen to have a vacant room at that time.  Since these facilities will not let you reserve a room ahead of time, it makes it pretty hard to plan a vacation.

Comments

• Marta
    Marta Member Posts: 694
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions
    You did not receive any replies. Perhaps because some are wondering whether you and your spouse have been immunized against COVID 19?
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Kibbee wrote:

Since these facilities will not let you reserve a room ahead of time, it makes it pretty hard to plan a vacation.

These facilities are there to make money. I'd be surprised if you found one that would let you make reservations. If you did find one, that would be a red flag to me.

• Cynbar
    Cynbar Member Posts: 539
    500 Comments Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions

I don't live in SE Wisconsin, but I'll tell you a little about my experience. I was looking to arrange respite for my DH in the fall of 2019 while I recovered from hip surgery. No place I talked to would reserve way in advance. Two weeks in advance was the norm, and I was lucky that my first choice could do it, giving us time to get the medical paperwork done. All the places I talked to also had a minimum stay, I think it was 2 weeks. I had a few places on my list that do respite, I was pretty sure one of them would do it but I did have a back-up plan, just in case (my daughter from Chicago would have taken care of both of us.) It worked out fine, but I didn't have the luxury of knowing it was set way before.

This isn't what you asked, but I just wanted to throw in that trip insurance is a good idea if you have a frail relative. Make sure it covers pre-existing conditions, many policies will do this if you pay for insurance when you put your first deposit on the trip, but read the fine print carefully. 

• Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes
    I don’t live there or know the area, but IME it’s almost impossible to find such a place. They may advertise it, like you said, but only if space available (rare) and not long in advance, as Cynbar said. It was much easier to get somebody to stay in home with him, but COVID makes that a problem now. It stinks, traveling becomes highly problematic, even without COVID.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more