Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Clicking of Teeth

My first post.  I was struck by something CStrope wrote a few days ago. She said something to the effect that she had gotten used to her DH constantly clicking his teeth.

So briefly my DW has recently been diagnosed with Semantic Dementia (SD). She is clicking and lightly grinding her teeth 24/7. Her jaw is in constant motion. It may not sound so bad but the result is that her teeth hurt and this has become somewhat of an obsession with her.  She started doing this months before her diagnosis and we got a night guard made by a dentist but in the end she refuses to wear it, even for short times during the day like when she watches TV.

I asked her neurologist if this was a neurological issue or otherwise related to her SD and her neurologist sort of dismissed this as atypical. Is it? Since CStrope mentioned it I suspect it is related to her SD.  Any others notice this?  If so is this a phase or will it just get worse?

BTW, I suppose I should post a full introduction because the path to an SD diagnosis took a bit of effort and I learned a few things related to what I see others asking about, like is a diagnosis important? Spoiler: I think so, as it determined the meds she was prescribed. I’ll try to find time to write more but as you all know finding time to myself is not easy.

Comments

• CStrope
    CStrope Member Posts: 487
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Vitruvius, yes, it was so strange when DH started clicking his teeth more than a year ago.  I just couldn't figure out where this strange habit came from.  I'm happy to say that he is now on Aricept and Memantine, and the clicking has stopped.  

The doctor is thinking that his dementia is frontotemporal, but who knows.  Anyhow, when reading up on frontotemporal dementia, there was mention of starting new behaviors such as smacking of the lips, or similar things.  That was an aha moment for me.  And like I said, since being on these two medications, the clicking has suddenly stopped.

I asked DH just the other day if he noticed that he no longer did that, he said he didn't remember that he ever did that. I have to admit a year or so ago, before his diagnosis, his clicking was a point of argument quite often.  

• ElaineD
    ElaineD Member Posts: 206
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

My mother-in-law clicked her teeth!  I was very aware that she had serious memory problems, of course.   And now I know that her teeth clicking was part of her disease.

My DH taps his toes together, when he's sitting in his recliner, watching TV.  Since he wears headphones (that way I don't hear the TV sound) he doesn't hear the tap-tap-tapping noise.  But it annoys me.  I ask him to stop, but very soon he's tapping his toes together.  He's wearing shoes or cowboy boots, and the noise is very loud.

Now, I'll try to be more patient because he's not ignoring how much it bother me, he is completely unaware that he's doing it.

At dinner we eat in the dining room of our Senior Living Community (only one at a table, or two if married, so social distancing is carried out).  At the table my husband fiddles with the silverware, and the behavior plus the clinking sound annoys me no end.  Again, I think now that this is part of his VD. 

My DH has shown signs of VD for over 4 years (he's 81 now) and the decline has been slow, but is increasingly apparent.  

I am so glad we moved in this community, into Independent Living.  Even with extensive and rigorous COVID precautions, I'm still able to socialize, play bridge, exercise, and of course move about our large, lovely facility.

I am disabled (walker and leg braces) and just last week I was diagnosed with Macular Degeneration in both eyes, and started injections in my right eye.  So I have great comfort, for both of us with our disabilities, that we can get the help we need where we live. 

Regards, Elaine

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney