Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Restraining order on my severe cognitively impaired husband

My husband’s memory care facility threw him under the bus, I believe, in order to evict him. I was in the process of asking for a hearing to overturn their thirty day eviction notice. They allowed his friend to spend nights in his single twin room without adequate oversight. They concocted a scenario, violated his HIPPA, and the daughter of his friend petitioned the judge with many lies and omissions. The facility never shared the letter I’d written to the family, or allowed me to meet with them. I believe the family was uninformed that their mom was freely spending nights in his room. I received a call telling me I needed to come and pick him up within the hour or the sheriff would take him away in handcuffs. I was out of town, but I couldn’t have taken him regardless. The sheriff transporting him to the hospital called afterwards to say what a gentle man my husband was as he was comforting others during the ordeal. No handcuffs were needed. The state ombudsman says it’s unprecedented for a memory care resident to be removed from a memory care facility by another. Further, APS called to tell me they are investigating with my husband as the victim. An attorney will overturn the restraining order, but there is zero way I’d let him return. Lesson learned: If someone tells you he or she can’t care for your loved one, believe it. His old facility was new, didn’t offer activities seven days a week or have the night staff required. The director was in over his head. My husband’s been in the hospital two weeks, and, finally, is headed to a more experienced, better staffed facility today. He was given some Ativan during the time he spent in ER, but the past five days (moved to a room in acute care) he’s only taking his usual meds. Bless the hospital staff! They’ve been amazing. A sitter was assigned to him and many staff members would walk with him around the floor (masked off course). I’m saying a prayer it’s easier going for and with him moving forward.

Comments

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Nowhere, What a terrible experience to have to navigate through! Hoping the new facility bring some peace & comfort for both you and your husband.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

Wow, Nowhere, what an ending to this story.  I'm glad that you feel good about the new facility, definitely keep us posted how this goes.

I'm just thinking out loud here, but I wonder if there's a way to turn this whole experience into a learning/teaching opportunity of some kind.  Both for the facility he was evicted from, and for the larger community.  Whether there are legal ramifications for the facility that evicted him is beyond me--others with more legal experience may be able to comment on that.  But surely, surely, your dad and his "friend" are not the first two to be in this position, and they won't be the last.  So:  as things settle down, what you like to see come out of this?  Are there lessons about how this kind of thing should/should not be handled?  By the facilities, and by the families?

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Nowhere, I can't believe things got as bad as they have! You have really had more than your share for some time now. I hope things will work out well in the end. No doubt you need things to start going your way for a change. I'm sorry you have had to put up with this.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions
    Victoria2020 wrote:

Good grief 2 people of mature age bunking in a single twin bed, even for  20 year old newly married and highly motivated people that is  tricky, at their ages I  should think it is  against the Geneva Conventions.

Strictly for Humor  DW and I shared some extremely narrow beds on occasion.   

Sleeping car bunks come to mind . 

• dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    I'm sorry you were blindsided by what happened.  I assumed you understood that they would do whatever they could to get rid of him due to the problem with the other family (whether or not the family removed the other person).  I thought about posting that but felt it would be unhelpful and you already knew, so I didn't.
  • JJAz
    JJAz Member Posts: 285
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments

"If someone tells you he or she can’t care for your loved one, believe it."

So, so true.  And you don't want someone in charge that has given up.  There are plenty of good care facilities, just move on.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more