Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Good news (for me and DH, anyway)

Just returned from getting Moderna #1 COVID shot.  My SIL is on the hospital board and was able to request that we be placed on the “drop everything and get here NOW extra vaccine” list. (We had been waiting for an e-mail from our medical portal to schedule; I was thinking it would be well into Spring/Summer before we’d get notification.) 

It is yet another snowy, cold day in NE PA and I had luckily shoveled the car out early this morning for some exercise.  Got a call at 10 AM; “can you come here now?”  I didn’t even comb my hair and poor DH!  I practically dragged him to the car and over the ice to the hospital.  I hadn’t thought it out and the long suffering student nurse had to help me wrestle DH out of his sweatshirt.  I’m not typically a line jumper, but they assured me that due to the weather, they had multiple cancellations and were happy to distribute what was there.  I am so relieved and wish all of you could have as easy an experience as we had.  

Comments

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,671
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Very happy for you guys and I have moved up two shots for getting mine.   Snowing a lot and cold here in North Central Ohio too.
  • Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,399
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions
    You have good reason to be on the waiting list.  They don’t want to throw doses away so it’s a win-win.
  • Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,307
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Good for you and your husband.   They've cancelled vaccinations two days in a row in Tulsa because of our icy weather. 
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Good for you. Today marks one week since we got our second dose. Did they give you a date for the next one?
  • Lills
    Lills Member Posts: 156
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions
    Wonderful!  Good for you and your DH!
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    That first shot brings an enormous sense of relief....glad you made the mad dash!
  • Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Ed,

Yes, they did.  And the sweet nurse doing the scheduling, who was once a pupil of DH’s, scheduled us for close to the last appt. on March 11.  She said, “Take your time getting here; we’ll hold the dose(s) and DH won’t have to wait.” DH was a beloved teacher and coach; it’s such a comfort that so many “kids” remember and respect him.  (One of his ex-ballplayers was getting his second shot and asked if I needed help returning through the ice and snow to the car.)  Today, it’s all good.  

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Good for both of you. Still waiting here in MA.
  • Ed1937
    Lynn, It's really nice when people make things a little easier. Glad you could get an appointment where you can get in and get out. You'll feel even better after you get the second one.
  • mrl
    mrl Member Posts: 166
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

Nice job Lynn, always praying the beads for you,

Michele

• Donr
    Donr Member Posts: 182
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes
    Ed1937 wrote:
    Good for you. Today marks one week since we got our second dose. Did they give you a date for the next one?
    Very important to get a date for your second shot while getting your first shot
  • Last Dance
    Last Dance Member Posts: 135
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions
    I happy you were able to get yours and his. I was supposed to get my Yesterday (Thursday) but the state didn't send enough to my health care provider so I have to wait and not  clue when they will get more in so I have to wait
  • CStrope
    CStrope Member Posts: 487
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Beachfan, did you struggle with telling people about your DH's diagnosis?  My husband was also a teacher and coach for many many years, and most of our small town had him as a teacher, or their kids did.  I'm so apprehensive to let anyone local know of his recent diagnosis (4 months) for fear they will treat him/us different, or make judgements.  

So I live every day not only with the burdens of what is going on inside our house, but also with the burden of making sure nobody in town knows about it.

Any advice???

• Ed1937

CStrope, I know you didn't ask for my opinion, but here are a couple of things to consider. I think this is something most of us struggle with in the early stages. But trying to keep it secret only makes it harder for us. And sooner or later, it will come out. Yes, people will likely treat you differently if they knew. They will more than likely be more kind to you and your husband. If/when he gets to the point where he can't partake in a conversation with friends, that's probably when they will become scarce. They simply don't know what to do in that situation, and that makes them uneasy. But that's unavoidable. People are kind, for the most part. 

How would you treat someone you knew if you found out they had ALS? My guess is that you would be kind to them and their family. 

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Hi, CStrope,

Ironically, one of DH’s best friends told me that “the guys were worried about DH; he seemed off at times.” I was clueless.    This was almost 11 1/2 years ago.  And news travels fast in a small town!  I attributed his forgetfulness and occasional confusion with his pre-occupation with sports ( he had retired 2 years previously from teaching, but still coached baseball.)  Looking back, I can see that the signs were there, subtle, but definitely there.    He was diagnosed MCI in May, 2010, but by then, the cat was out of the bag, so to speak.  Little by little, people would stop to talk with him, but through me.  Nowadays, they say, “Hey coach!” with a pat on the back or an effort to shake his hand.  They will ask me “How’s DH?” in his presence, but he is oblivious to my answer.  Through it all, everyone has been more than kind and respectful.  Sad, but I am used to it by now.  I’d be really bummed if they ignored us altogether.  

On Saturday, I stopped for beer at a local distributor (DH has a light lager every night with dinner).  One of his ex-ball players carried the beer out to my car and asked about “coach”.  I said, “He’s good- -day to day, he doesn’t wander, he doesn’t scream and yell, it’s okay.”  His former player said, “I liked it better when he screamed and yelled.”  How true.  

I guess I have no good advice for you.  More than likely, if your situation is like ours, folks are already speculating and talking.  Hopefully, you will experience kindness and support from everyone.  As time passes, it will become easier to accept and deal with.  Do and say whatever you find comfortable with whomever you feel comfortable.  It will all fall into place one way or another.  I wish you well.  This is a tough road to follow, but with time  and acceptance, for me at least, it’s only as tough as I allow it to be.  Bless you!

• CStrope
    CStrope Member Posts: 487
    100 Care Reactions Third Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Thank you BeachFan and Ed1937.  Your advice is definitely appreciated.  Maybe part of it is I don't want everyone to know....that will make it all the more real for me.  For now, he is still able to hide his diagnosis and make excuses for any "off" behavior.  He subbed for almost 5 years, only stopping when COVID hit last March.  Every time he walked into the high school, students would rush to say Hi, and ask what classroom he'd be working in.  I think he still really misses that positive feedback from the kids.

I'm such a data and detail person.  I keep trying to pinpoint when things started going south....I just can't figure it out.  So many small subtle changes.  So many days I just want to close my eyes and make believe it's not happening, but that only works for a brief moment.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more