Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Masks - choosing them

BethL
BethL Member Posts: 838
Ninth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Care Reactions

Comments

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

This retired RN is avidly reading everything from credible sites and listening to everything from credible sources.  I just wish I knew where to buy good, safe, credible masks.  It is a puzzle.

What I found with much current search, is that type of material in a cloth mask is most important.  It is recommended that 600 thread count cotton be used.  Then, having a three layer mask is better rather than two.  If there is a pocket for filters, then one is also best served by also using filters.  One can find credible filter possibilities that one can make oneself, can find this online using Google and getting input from said credible sites.  Masks must also have a solid metal nose piece that fits snug to one's nose; I would never use a mask without that. If one holds their mask up to a light and one can see the light through it, the mask is not considered an adequate mask.

Dr. Fauci and CDC do recommend wearing two masks; one surgical mask next to face with three layer cloth mask on top.  One article  I read online described the cloth mask as a chain link fence; the surgical mask as a screen door and the virus as a gnat trying to get in; so one absolutely needs a tight fit all around the face.  It is suggested by CDC, that once masking is on, to cup both hands around the front of the face and sides of the mask, if the mask goes in and out with each breath, that is good - but if it does not or if you feel air coming out top, sides or bottom, fit is not adequate.

The CDC also now shows a plastic device that holds the mask tight against the face; cannot recall what it is called.  Methinks a hazmat suit is on its way!  Joking.

The N95 is of course the safest IF it is fitting snug on all sides.  There are videos online that show how to prepare a plain surgical mask for a snug fit; one folds the top and bottom of the mask together; then one ties a knot with each ear elastic right snug next to the mask; when that is accomplished, one takes the bits of mask that is sticking out next to knot and pushes it inside through where the knot is, so it has no openings.  Then one puts mask on, fit it tight and make sure the nose piece is snug and good to go next to face.  Best to watch a video of this as my description is not adequate.

As for eye protection; that too must be snug and cover well.  I thought goggles or RN safety glasses that go all around eye orbit would be good, but I was wrong; they evidently leave tiny leaks.   The shield does the best job IF the shield goes around to sides of face and covers over entire chin. Evidently, the goggles and glasses do leave small gaps here and there and leave one exposed.  It certainly is puzzling.

If one touchs one's mask, one must wash one's hands; if one wears the shield, that is not good enough - one MUST wear masks with the shield which is only there to protect skin and mostly the eyes as the eyes can let virus into the body too.   The shield must be cleaned after each wearing; one can find directions for that online too.

I really am remiss about hand washing after touching mask; I will without thinking, reach up and press the metal band closer to my nose from time to time; so I shall work at not doing that, and I will also carry purse sized hand sanitzer with me for just in case.  Leaving it in the car is not sufficient. However, we are not out that often; just MD appts, or our vaccination appt.

It is alot to think about and do, and we are still learning.

The most concerning thing is; for all of those refusing to get the vaccine, that is, per science, the population of people who will be responsible for the mutations that develop and pop up which endangers us all.  We really do, as a society, have an obligation to be part of the solution and not part of the problem.  To do anything else is literally deadly to everyone.

So on we go with our seeking . . .

J.

• BethL
    Thank you, Jo.
  • Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,307
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Jo, your instructions about the surgical mask is right on.  I tried it and it does fit much tighter as long as you can get those knots close enough to the mask.  I had a little bit of trouble keeping that part that stuck out back inside the mask to stay.  Didn't try that huff and puff thing though.  Will tomorrow.

I wore two masks way back in June to my Ophthalmologist and she said that was a very good idea.  They were two surgical masks but from now on, it will be a cloth mask over the surgical one.

Thanks,again.

• JJAz
    JJAz Member Posts: 285
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments
    I've been two-masking since the beginning in order to get a good fit and comfort.  I have a few N95's with horribly tight elastic.  I cut the elastic off and wear a disposable paper mask over the N95.  I tie a little knot on each of the elastic ties behind the ear because it's too loose.  With these adjustments, I get a tight fit, and the N95 has a bubble-shape that gives me breathing room.
  • JJAz
    JJAz Member Posts: 285
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments
    Here is a link to the video on how to adjust a surgical mask: 

https://www.today.com/health/how-make-mask-fit-better-how-wear-surgical-mask-t189236

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,671
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Very nice, thank you.
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Thank you very much, JJaz, I am sending the link on to family so they are fully informed in detail as to how to make the surgical masks more effective and safe.  A picture really is worth a 1,000 words.

It would be such a help if one knew where to buy really good, effective and safe cloth masks.  So many people have bought masks without the metal insert to fit to the nose, and so many cloth masks do not have elastic ear loops - many are plain cloth loops which do not fit everyone which leaves significant gaps; actually loose for many.  Then the sliding tiny beads that can make the loops fit better seem to slide and not stay in place.

It would behoove the NIH or CDC or other health entity to have a list of approved masks - but that is not at all in place at this time.  Some manufacturers are marketing but overall, that holds no stong validity for verification of claims.  The copper infused masks, etc. have been more or less debunked as not very effective for multiple reasons - it only increases costs and for some people gives a false sense of security not in evidence.

T'would be lovely IF a manufacturer made AND described their masks as having been made from 600 thread count cotton, triple layer with a pocket for filter placement with elastic ear loops . . . . that would be best scenario for everyone. My bias for all of that would be I would prefer to see govt/health entity verify claims have been met and the country of manufacture being in the U.S. along with said inspection verification that all specs were met.

We can hope . . . .

J.

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

We could go crazy with the "which mask" thing.

I do not go out and when I must I double mask with a 3 layer disposable and stay away from people. I do not touch door handles etc and sanitize at every chance presented. I do not buy fresh produce except for apples, oranges and bananas and they are peeled.

That said I guess I do live dangerously because I open my mail when it arrives, I do not wipe down parcels or packages from the market and I do not change my clothes if I had to go out. 

Just got my second shot this morning but will continue to mask etc until otherwise directed...lol

• BethL

Judith, I think you are doing a good job. People have to listen to the science (hopefully) and then make their own decisions.

Once I'm 3 wks out from my 2nd vaccine, I will feel free to do the following, with a mask: go to church (haven't in a year), get a haircut (had one in the past year), go out to eat inside (have only done that once in a year), meet with friends who are also vaccinated without a mask/meet with friends who are not vaccinated with a mask, go get fitted for new glasses (had the eye appt already)...and eventually, visit my kids that live 1000 miles away....

Some people have been doing all of that already, with or without a mask. I hate to admit it, but I am jealous of those who I see on Facebook meeting with their extended family and going on vacations. (Not fair)

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Hair cut...yes!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia