Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Seems to be huge changes this week?

HHas anyone noted increase loss of function in a week? DH has Alzheimers and in this last week has lost his ability to find or recogniize things? Cannot find rooms in house, or recognize what is a tub or toilet are? I know these are expected changes but seem to come on all of a sudden in last 5-7 days. He doesnt understand what I say, or what direction to go. Sits in front o tv but dont think he understands what he  is watching? Seems sudden? He has history of a cva/stroke seen on a.n mri and although we have never got a diagnosis of type of dementia, I think it may be Alzheimers and vascular dementia. He may have had another stroke. He takes a baby aspirin every day and Depakote for seizures.

Comments

• Battlebuddy
    Battlebuddy Member Posts: 331
    100 Comments Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    I could have written this post. My husband is suddenly in that state. Not knowing where the bathroom is, and not understanding what the toilet is for. DH had a UTI which would explain some of the decline but other things seem new since getting the antibiotic. Maybe disease progression. Don’t know how you navigate not knowing what the toilet is except moving him to pull-ups.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Whenever you see things that you don't know for sure is sudden progression, a test for UTI, with a culture is called for. It might not be a UTI, but the stakes are too high not to have the test done. UTIs can surely cause everything you described, and it usually comes suddenly when there is one. The culture is important because if there is an infection, the culture will give them the needed information on how to best treat it. You might have to ask for the culture to be done. Without a culture, if there is an infection that shows up, it is a crapshoot on the antibiotic to use. If the wrong one is used, it might not work at all.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more