Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

2nd opinion(1)

Have an apt tmrw with our 2nd neurologist for DH.  First neuro diagnosed w/o any neurocognition testing. You only get 15 mins with him. When I asked about Exelon patch he said that’s for patients who can’t remember their meds. Diagnosis dementia with behavioral. He has a lot of Parkinson’s symptoms but neuro could tell by looking at him he didn’t have.   One year since initial diagnosis. He mostly has trouble w technology, phone  and gps. I am his gps. DH  had mri and eeg, and bloodwork.  I had to ask for mri. He’s on Namenda and olanzapan for depression prevention. Neuro tried adding aricept but made DH foggier so he took him off.  He still does banking but I’m starting to help.   Still golfs but says he’s losing that  we walk together in good weather  

I feel sure he won’t be able to drive next year. Seems to be aging so fast and frail. 77 yrs.  I need suggestions for questions to new neuro. Thanks for any input. 

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    Parkinson's has so many non-motor symptoms it can not be diagnosed by sight i 15 minutes. I think this will help. Additionally your have an outstanding Dr in Memphis who sort of wrote "the book"  on  non-motor symptoms. 

https://www.apdaparkinson.org/what-is-parkinsons/symptoms/

• Memphisdee
    Memphisdee Member Posts: 64
    10 Comments Second Anniversary
    Good news— he put him on exelon patch. Set up neuro cognitive testing. And suggested taking him off certain medications. I get so sad about the lost look in his eyes. Do you all feel this too. I did our checkbook with him yesterday. I feel it will soon be my job!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more