Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

2 Months

Exactly 2 months ago at 8:42 PM my DW, companion, best friend, and lover took her last breath in my arms. We grew up together as we met when she was 15 and I 16.  We were always referred to as the human pretzel as we always loved being entangled in some way or another. She didn't quite make it to her 65th birthday because of this horrible disease! I so miss her soft touch, gentle kisses, and beautiful voice! I thought that as this hellacious disease was taking her, the illusion of having lost her prior to her passing, that the pain I felt would be the same as when she would leave this world. I was so wrong! Although I am so glad she is no longer in the clutches of this disease, the pain I feel is much greater! She was my life, my soul mate, my all! I am so lost without her. To all the caregivers here, you are all hero's and I am so sorry that you are having to go through these heartbreaks. Love to you all!

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I'm sorry it is so hard, Chris. I know it doesn't seem possible, but it will get better. And in time, you will be reunited.
  • Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

I met DW in 1970. She was 18.   I was enchanted by her in 1971, In 1972 she said she would  marry me and in 1975 she did.  I feel every word of your eloquent statement of loss.  I saw her shell today on Face time. It's been at least two years since she had any idea who I was, or who she was, or what she did and and I did. I know I am following you down this path.  She is 68. 

I keep a poem on my wall that is engraved on the tombstone of the Author Ray Carver ,. Perhaps it helps

Image result for late fragment

And did you get what
    you wanted from this life, even so?
    I did.
    And what did you want?
    To call myself beloved, to feel myself
    beloved on the earth.

• ChrisBme
    ChrisBme Member Posts: 19
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments

Thank you Crushed! The poem really hit me well! I'm going to keep it with me and read it when I need uplifting! It's amazing how many similarities we have. I met my wife in 1971, asked her to marry in 1972, and we married in 1974. I remember you posting about your DW blue dress. Well my favorite dress my DW wore was also blue! She wore it on our honeymoon! Picture below was us leaving for our honeymoon in 1974.

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions
    DW in 1973
  • anneleigh
    anneleigh Member Posts: 65
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments
    Chris, prayers for you at this time and I surely hope your family will be with you during this time of sorrow.  Hugs~

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more