Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Leaving water on

Anyone have problem with lo leaving on water. DH has done so for last couple of months sometime he tells me sometimes not. Now going it daily. It’s night time I’m worried about   

I make sure sinks clear  hot water off in main bathroom that he uses at night. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions
    You can shut off the water at the main if its a problem.  Sinks and toilets also have shut offs
  • David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary
    You can add a sensor tap that only turns on when hands are under the tap. You can also change out the valves to ones that you push down to allow water to flow and they automatically turn off when you let go.
  • KatieKat1
    KatieKat1 Member Posts: 55
    10 Comments Second Anniversary

Yes - my husband likes to go into the bathroom and turn on the taps and then walks away and leaves the water running.  I now have to go under the sink and turn off the valves for the cold and hot water.  He has not figured out what is going on and I just tell him there is a problem with the water in the winter.  Since he has Stage 5 or 6 - closer to 6 Dementia - FTD, he gets into all kinds of mischief.  Taking the knobs off of the kitchen cabinets, locked himself in our bathroom, moving furniture all over the place, and anything he does not like as far as a knickknack can just disappear.  I have to check our trash bins to make sure nothing is in there. 

Of course now he wants to turn on the water in the kitchen but I can hear that since I spend much of my time there or in the family room near by and then try to redirect him.  In the bathroom at the other end of the house I cannot hear the water running unless I go by the bathroom or into it.

Sometimes all these things go on all day but I find I have to be one step ahead of him (when I have enough energy) and hide things that often I cannot find but one day they will show up again.

If you have valves under your sink and you have a vanity you may want to turn off those valves and put on a baby slide lock over the two knobs that open the doors  if this is possible - or take off the knobs and maybe he won't open the vanity doors if he has no idea you turned off the water and cannot figure to turn the valves back on.

• Michael Ellenbogen
    Michael Ellenbogen Member Posts: 991
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions

I did that and turned the water on in the laundry tube and I was asking my wife what was she doing as it overflowed as I had forgotten I did it. Trust me we don’t do those on purpose. In my newhouse I plan on installing water alarms at ever water point to prevent further issues with me. I may even add a remote house water shutoff that works with the alarms.

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I did that too--I over-ran the tub.  Someone on the boards told me there is an alarm for the tub.  

Iris

• Donr
    Donr Member Posts: 182
    Tenth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes
    Amazon has on it's web site a lot of small water  devices that sets off an alarm when moisture is detected. They are battery operated and the batteries will last a year.
  • Dreamer Lost
    Dreamer Lost Member Posts: 17
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments
    Just for levity - I have been leaving my faucets on all week --- slow trickle.  I live in Houston and the freezing temperatures have been breaking a lot of pipes. LOL. 

Seriously though, my Dh also did this for a short while.  Just made sure the sinks were unplugged and drained well, then I was always listening for running water.  When I heard it, I would go turn it off.  Luckily no damage and this stage didn't last too long. 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more