Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Missing Him(1)

I spend close to three hours a day with my DH in a wonderful Advanced Care Facility. He is in late 6 or beginning of stage 7. He is non verbal so I have no way of knowing what he is thinking. He kept looking at me today as if he wanted to say something. It is getting harder for me to leave when it is time to go. I go home to my apartment and miss him so much. It is emotionally draining and I am so tired when I get home. It doesn't feel real. I wish I could stay with him. How do you cope??

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Potsie, I'm sorry it's so hard, and I wish I had words to help........
  • Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    Potsie, I'm glad you get to spend time with him. My DH is also stage 6, early 7, non verbal and in MC. They are only allowing plexiglass visits at this time. Hopefully that changes soon and I can get in to be with him. It's so hard.....
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions

Potsie it's grief. How to cope? You sort of live with it. First it encompassed me but now it just walks by my side.

I think it is important to accept the grief....the sadness, the anger, the depression, the fatigue.

C S Lewis has some word which I find helpful;

https://www.azquotes.com/author/8805-C_S_Lewis/tag/grief

Additionally we are here for and with you.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more