Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Reminiscing during the ice storm

Today is the first day I have been able to access the internet since the ice storm started a week ago. We fared better than many in Texas. We lost power early on, but it came back on the following day. The heater broke and we were without heat for two days until I was able to have it repaired. We are still under a boil water notice. We are much more blessed than most and I am grateful.

Early on in the ice storm, I realized that how I react to DH would have a huge impact on how miserable or even keel the mood in the house would be while we were shut in. I kept my cool most of the time, even when I wanted to scream. It was a worthwhile investment.

While we were iced in, DH was obsessed with getting the internet up. I considered it a luxury not an essential service. I was happy to have heat and water. I was somewhat successful redirecting DH to other topics, such as playing with the dog.

One day DH was especially antsy. I was able to find an old CD player and I found a box of his CDs. The music was very calming for him. After a while, he started telling me about the music and reminiscing about when he bought the specific CD. For example, what was going on in his life, who he was with. It was a true blessing to see him fondly recall happy memories. It created a happy new memory for me to see the joy in his heart as he recalled earlier days.

This disease is so crazy. DH can't remember how to brush his teeth. But he can remember buying a BB King CD.

Comments

• Dreamer Lost
    Dreamer Lost Member Posts: 17
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments
    Hi Fellow Lady Texan, I live in Houston and luckily only lost power for a half day.  No broken pipes either thanks to some quick thinking.  I woke up Monday thinking about the water so started the sinks trickling and when the water stopped trickling, I realized a pipe must be frozen.  Called a neighbor, who told me what to look for outside and found the pipe leading into the house was naked!  not wrapped at all.  He told me how to defrost it with boiling water which worked great, as I think it had only just frozen.  I was able to get the water flowing back in the house and quickly wrapped the pipe.  Not very professionally, but good enough, I guess.   I had just bled the back flow on the sprinkler system Saturday (also learned from my neighbor) but didn't think about the house pipes.  I'm feeling extremely lucky as several of my aids and nurses were without power for several days, and one had a busted pipe in her attic which of course then leaked water all over her house as she wasn't home at the time.  
    I'm learning so many home repairs now that my Dh can't do them anymore.  Take care and stay warm. 
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I'm glad to see both of you are doing ok. From what I see on the news, you are indeed fortunate. Hopefully it won't be long before everyone has utilities and water.
  • Lynne D
    Lynne D Member Posts: 276
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    I love how you are creative and find positives in a bad situation. Thank you for sharing.
  • Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,671
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Thank you for sharing and checking in.  Glad you are doing ok.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more