Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Sold DH Car

Two days ago we sold DH car.  It was only 4 years old and the dealership gave us a very fair price for it.  He has not really driven it since retiring in July.  He was told in December not to drive anymore after his neuro psychological test.   I am in shock that he listened as he was always driving somewhere.  He willingly went with me and signed the paperwork.  I am very thankful for this.  I think he was having some anxiety driving and it was getting worse and deep down he knew this but could not voice it.  He is only 69 yrs old.  This was one hurdle I was not looking forward to.  I am relieved to say the least.

Thanks for listening.

Dottie

Comments

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,399
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

I’m glad you got that managed,  I’m sorry that you had to take this step. 

I wish I could get my parents to sell theirs.  Mom ( PWD) isn’t driving.  Dad managed to get his license renewed, no driving test and thinks he needs both cars. he should have had to take a driving test due to his age.   He doesn’t need to drive 

• Lynne D
    Lynne D Member Posts: 276
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    I am glad this went fairly easily for you. My husband has not driven for over a year, but would flip if Insold his “dream car.” It is good to hear a success story!
  • JM1316
    JM1316 Member Posts: 26
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments

I was looking forward to no car payments and reduced car insurance too.   This was my biggest fear addressing selling of his car. 

I am on a two year plan to get everything in order for our future.  When our 107 lb mutt goes to the Rainbow Bridge (he is 11-1/2 years), we will then be able to move to the Over 55 Community rancher.  I see any steps in the future a problem as his symptoms are following the same as his mother’s Alz that I dealt with in the past.  Trying to be prepared as much as possible.  I have driven him through the development twice now to show him the houses up for sale and he is on board.  

Again, thanks for listening!

I hope this helps someone new to Alz think about what future plans they may need.  This move is for both of us, not just him.  Down the road he may end up in a MC facility and I hope not.  I will do the best I can do until I can’t do it anymore.  It is not just about him only, my health counts too.

Dottie

• LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    JM1316 wrote:

I will do the best I can do until I can’t do it anymore.  It is not just about him only, my health counts too.

This is so true!! Thank you for sharing Dottie

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney