Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Has anyone taken a caregiver course online?

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
I know Teepa Snow and Dr. Natalie has them, and there are likely more. Just wondering if anyone found them money well spent.

Comments

• jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    I would have done the Teepa Snow.
  • Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Dr. Broyles wrote a carebook which details how he cared for his wife.  It used to be recommended quite a lot a few years ago.  It was available online.  

Addendum:  Search for "Coach Broyles Playbook".  It can be purchased and is available in pdf.

Iris

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Iris, thank you! I did not want a hard copy, but a pdf would work well. I actually found it free of charge at the following link. https://www.fdlco.wi.gov/home/showpublisheddocument?id=9877  
  • Michael Ellenbogen
    Michael Ellenbogen Member Posts: 991
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 25 Likes 5 Care Reactions

First I will disclose I am good friends with Teepa. I have taken many of her courses online and even in person. I have also been part of her classes and helped in the design of her courses. She is truly one of the best in the US. I would also look at Naomi Fells or something like that.  They both have some wonderful information online that can be found for free. They both are fantastic educators and have a great gift that can not be duplicated by their staff. There is nothing lie the real person. If you still want to pay for a class I may be able to do something for you and others. If you want to get a group together of 10 people I can probably have her give you all a private class for a substantial discounts.  She would not normally do that but because of COVI her travel has been limited lately. She is normally booked out 7-8 months easily. I can probably make it happen in a few weeks. No promise on any of this but if you are serious let’s talk.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more