Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

I hired a new aid - and other progress this month

My partner was in his family last week. Unfortunately I had to work and couldn’t rest as I would have needed.

His return at home is hard for me. It's hard to go back to the routines I don't find pleasant (supervise the shower, the dressing...), to have to watch over everything. It’s more and more hard.

During this half-break, I found a new aid. We already have one but she is hired only for leisure and social life. when hiring her I wasn’t really aware of that and was quite surprised when she declined to come the morning to help when I have to go early to teach and with a view to returning to the office at least one day when there is daycare (from 10:00 am to 4 pm so not allowing me to go to work a full day) as soon as possible. But checking his contract written by an intermediate, she is true.

Today the second aid came to discuss her contract and to check that my partner is ok. In fact they already know each other as she is doing some replacements at the daycare. Everything went perfectly. 

My idea is to have somebody coming progressively the morning and replacing me for shower and dressing. I will still have the change to pyjama in the evening that becomes conflictual. Today, Pyjama was put over the trousers and the polo shirt and he didn’t appreciate when I asked him to take off everything. Every day the same, he is unable to do it correctly in the fist trial, rarely on the second...

Last week I had two good news. His file has been accepted in two nursing home (don’t know the difference you make between nursing homes, MC and the others). The first one is the most famous for Alzheimer’s in our city. Perhaps also the most expensive. They have places now (covid effect ?) but the idea is a 15 days stay when I will need to rest so that we will test this institution and how he adapts there. The file to the famous Alzheimer’s village in the south of France is also accepted and on waiting list. I don’t know how long is the waiting list. In November it was 200 people for 120 places... it seems very long. In this one I would accept a place today if possible.

Yes I certainly give the impression that I don’t want to take care of him. Not false, not true. I am just not willing to scarify everything for him. I already have the impression I haven’t lived the 3 last years. I owe him solitary and I will find the best solutions for him but I also want to save myself for my children who are still teens.  

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more