Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Incontinence(5)

Things are happening quicker than I can get to them......DW - As usual..this morning I was expecting to find one of my favorite chores....dealing with the full morning diaper..To my surprise...nothing...Dry...When the Hospice nurse came I told her, she said, give her fluids during the course of the day & evening....& see what happens bed time....Bed time came & still a dry diaper...The arrangement was if she was still dry the nurse would come in the morning to install a catheter.....Now I know what that is but, how do I deal with that? - does that mean she will be bed ridden? as every day I get DW up into the wheelchair where she spends the day.....Does this mean the nurse comes every day to deal with the catheter? If I felt overwhelmed before this is a real game changer....What happens moving forward? by the way she hasn't had a bowl movement for about 3-4 days, but I guess the reason is she's not eating.....

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I didn't realize it, but my wife hadn't urinated for more than 24 hours. When I did find out what was going on, I called her urologist very early in the morning. He told me to get her to the hospital. It took me about 1/2 hour to get her ready to leave, then when I went to get the car she said she had to use the bathroom. She did urinate, and has not had another problem. But the thing is that it can be dangerous if not taken care of. Wish I could be more helpful.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    MVChappy, I would gently remind you that you don't necessarily have to do anything if she's not uncomfortable.  If her kidneys are shutting down, she may be near the end.  IMO the only question that matters is whether she's comfortable or not.  If she seems agitated or in pain, then the catheter might be helpful.  Otherwise, why?
  • MVChappy
    MVChappy Member Posts: 18
    10 Comments Second Anniversary
    Update...The diaper was wet, not soaked, so the catheter is averted for now....but something to look forward to...From what I'm hearing, you simply cannot ignore the lack of urination I'm mean if we all had a magic wand to know when the final day was, then it could be a consideration, but if its a month or two down the road it has to be dealt with...I triggered a false alarm, but getting an education from it....

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more