Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Something to be grateful for

Every so often I accidentally find some object that DW has put away in an unlikely place, and that I had given up looking for.

Comments

• Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes

That Happens so much around here—and often it’s something I thought I had hidden so DH wouldn’t get it. One time, he came in the room reeking of Chanel (my fav. Perfume, of which I had little left) and couldn’t understand how I knew he’d used/found it.  Lol! I don’t really “look for” much any more, it usually doesn’t matter, and it’ll show up sometime. 

I can catch him rooting through “my” stuff and moving it around, and he doesn’t seem to really understand what he’s doing. One thing that could have been bad—I thought my vitamins were going fast, and then caught him taking them just like he saw me doing. So now locked away with all meds. I also thought I’d hidden some heavy duty lawn bug poison, and he found it and sprayed it around the house like air freshener,  which was a serious problem. He did find some really old silver dollars once, and recognized they could have value (?? maybe something about money sticks better). But the more important /dangerous stuff is locked up now.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    We're currently missing her favorite coffee cup, my favorite pajama pants, and a garage door opener.  No clue.  It's kind of a game to see where they'll turn up.  I found the egg poacher today in a completely different cabinet from where it lives.  Yesterday the loaf of bread was in with potato chip basket.  Sigh.
  • caberr
    caberr Member Posts: 211
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments

My husband has gone through my things and throws out what he says I don't use.  But go through his stuff and suggest we get rid of it because it hasn't been used in years...no way!  

We are still waiting for a pair of glasses he lost last summer to show up. He had them, we got in the car and stopped by a friends house then home.   Can't find them in the car or the house and our friends have moved since he lost them!  Wonder if they will ever show up! 

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    We found the coffee cup today (in a random cabinet) but lost the tractor key. One up, one down!
  • manuzito
    manuzito Member Posts: 17
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments

My mother (100 years old) loves to take small objects that fit in her pockets.  She takes the things to her room, wraps the small objects with tissues and places them under her clothes in her drawers. Sometimes I place small ornaments close to her so that she can take them to her room. I take them all back when she is sleeping and put them back in plain sight so that she can take them again the next day.  I’m very careful with my car keys and my phone because she is in a mission to take those and hide them someday.  She already got us in trouble in a restaurant when she put the silverware in her purse.  

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more