Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

VENT: I am screaming on the inside, very loudly

DH has been moody all day. He's bummed because the ice storm held up his favorite coffee order delivery.

Meanwhile, I have been cleaning up mud and scheduling repairs needed as a result of the ice storm. I was so fortunate that a plumber became available today. We have an exterior pipe that has been leaking since earlier this week.

I told DH the plumber was coming. I said I was putting the dog in the bedroom with DH because the plumber was coming. DH says ok. The plumber comes and DH lets the dog out of the bedroom. Argh! So the dog is barking like a maniac.

The plumber goes to his truck to work up the estimate. I put the dog back in the bedroom with DH. I said, I want the dog to stay in the bedroom while the plumber is here. DH says ok. The plumber gives me the price and I am near tears because it is very expensive. Then DH lets the dog out again. Argh! And the dog is barking like a maniac.

The dog is now in the bathroom. DH is oblivious. I am frazzled about the unplanned expenses resulting from the storm and trying to manage the repairs by myself. I feel so inadequate and uneducated about how a house and the related infrastructure functions. I am out of my element.

I miss the days when DH handled home repairs, car repairs and told me everything was going to be okay. I miss days that are free from moodiness. 

Its a good thing that I am only screaming on the inside. Otherwise I would have a very sore throat on top of everything else.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Lady, I am so sorry you have your hands full like that, on top of the added expense. I honestly don't know how you are able to hold everything at bay with all the things you have had hurled at you for quite some time. You undoubtedly are a very strong person. Wish I could help.
  • Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,307
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Hi,

I know how hard it is to take on all the responsibilities you have especially when your husband has always done it or you've done it together.  Besides plumbing work is so expensive I also heard that your power bills will be greatly increased. They've also said ours would be, too.  How long were you without water? 

Just take one thing at a time - at least that's what I've learned to do.  I think one thing I miss so much is Charles hugging me and saying everything will be all right.  We just need that little bit of reassurance. 

Hope it all turns out all right for you.  Maybe this is winter's last hurrah.  I'm ready for spring.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

What a day; I am so very sorry.  I can almost hear all of Texas screaming - it has been a horrible situation; lots of stress and uncertainty and then $$$$$$$.

Our daughter's pipes fortnately did not break, (she is in Houston), but she needs a plumber to do an inspection to ensure all is okay with  no small leaks in the ceiling in her three story town home; but finding a plumber is very difficult due to the over-demand by so many in very bad situations.

Guess it goes under the heading; "It is what it is," but that does not feel any better.  So hope all goes more smoothly for you and for all the folks in Texas'; it has been a dreadful debacle.

J.

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions

LT, what a lousy way to have to learn about infrastructure.  I bet you did better than you're giving yourself credit for.  Sorry it was chaotic, and so sorry for the mess.  We have relatives in Houston in the same situation with burst pipes.

I think there are times when we all just wish we could be taken care of rather than to have to constantly be the caregivers.  Hang in, I know you will.  Texas tough, right?

• DWck
    DWck Member Posts: 18
    10 Comments Second Anniversary

So sorry you are going through this. I can definitely empathize with you regarding home maintenance and repairs. DH has been unable to assist or give any meaningful advice for several years now. In that time I had to have mold remediation done to our crawlspace, a new washer/dryer and dishwasher. All of these jobs had complications that required further repairs. There is much to be done outside too and I’m trying to prepare for those this spring. I’ve had moments when I just needed to go into the bathroom and have a good cry. We lost our beloved dog last September and as much as I loved her, I do not miss the shrill barking when having repairs done. Hang in there Lady T.  

• Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,671
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    (((LadyTexan)))
  • Doityourselfer
    Doityourselfer Member Posts: 224
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments
    LadyTexan, Hope your day is better today.  I admire your strength.
  • amicrazytoo
    amicrazytoo Member Posts: 169
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments
    I so understand your frustration.  We too have a dog that I put in the bedroom when any stranger is coming to the house. Our dog is not a barker, but is best friends with everyone, loves to show how much she loves everyone by jumping on them gently to give them kisses. Not everyone likes a 75 lb dog doing that...  I also wish for the days when DH handled all the repairs, household and otherwise.
  • LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Thank you everyone. I have simmered down quite a bit.

I turned on my gratitude generator to help me weather my hissy fit.

• I am so so grateful a plumber became available. When I first called, they estimated 2 - 3 weeks, before someone could get to me. This was okay with me since it was an exterior pipe and I still had water available in the house.
    • I am grateful that the plumber and I were able to talk about the issue and discuss the options. Together we identified a simpler fix to address my immediate needs at a more manageable price.
    • I am grateful that I have the resources to manage the repairs. That's what emergency funds are for. I know emergency funds are a pipe dream to many.
    • I am grateful that I survived the destruction of prior Texas weather hiccups such as Hurricanes Rita and Hurricane Ike. Those lessons prepared me well for the ice storm.
    • I am grateful that I have a place to vent when I am troubled. You all are heroes.

THANKS again everyone for helping me through another day on dementia island. Where annoyances are repetitive. Money and utensils evaporate into thin air and no one understands except for other care giver heroes.

• [Deleted User]
  • janeymack
    janeymack Member Posts: 55
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments

Did you contact your home insurance company? If the repairs exceed your deductible, then the most important decision is selecting the plumber with the best reputation.

And, I am with you on the "letting the dog out" at every possible opportunity. My husband lets them out and then tells the person, "Don't worry, they're friendly" That's not the point! He also lets them out of the house whenever a delivery van arrives, you know, so they can bark AND risk getting run over! 

• [Deleted User]
  • Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions

I agree with Victoria on insurance. 
    1) administrative costs are at least 25%  of all insurance payments 
    2) casualty Insurance companies pay more for the same work than cash customers 
    3) Companies uses small claims and even inquires to "justify" rate increases since their models tell them that such customers are essentially gullible and poor insurance shoppers.

You should never buy insurance for a cost you can pay for. High deductibles are your friend. Of course they take disciple and savings.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more