Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

He is gone

I have been absent for quite some time and I apologize for not being more supportive.  DH lost his battle tonight.  And, he battled, right to the end.  Our daughter and son were here.  We kept him home and we gathered at the end.  Our daughter was with him when he took his last breath. Yesterday, after the aid and caregiver got him all cleaned up I saw that he opened his eyes and walked over to see him.  We made direct eye contact.  His eyes looked clear and somehow, younger.  He said, "Hello there."   His lips were in a soft smile.  We held our gaze until he fell back to sleep.  I am now a widow.

Comments

• Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

My heart goes out to you.  I am sorry for the loss and grief.  You stayed the coursed and did all the best that could be.  It is a lovely description how your beloved husband turned to you with clarity and spoke; that was certainly a gift.

When things settle down and you feel up to it, let us know how you are; you are being thought of. 

J.

• LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Dear jdmg1.

I am so sorry. 

What a gift, for you both, to share eye contact and for him to smile before he passed. He knew he was loved. He knew he was not alone.

I have missed you my friend. You are special. You are loved. You are not alone. My heart hurts for you. 

May God comfort you and bring you peace. May God give you strength. 

Please take care of you now. Give yourself time to grieve and heal.

God bless you.

Love, 

Betsy

• Doityourselfer
    Doityourselfer Member Posts: 224
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments
    I'm sorry for your loss.  You deserve to take good care  of yourself.  Wishing you the best.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    you went through a lot jdmg.  Rest and peace to you.
  • Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    My condolences on your loss. May you find peace in the days ahead.
  • Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,671
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    I’m so sorry for your loss.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I'm glad he had a peaceful passing, surrounded by loved ones. Sorry for your loss. Wishing a quick recovery for you.
  • Lills
    Lills Member Posts: 156
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions
    I'm so sorry for your loss!  Wishing you peace and happy memories!
  • amicrazytoo
    amicrazytoo Member Posts: 169
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments
    I am so sorry for your loss. May your memories carry you through the grieving process and bring you comfort. (((hugs)))
  • David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary
    I am sorry for your loss. I hope you find peace in knowing you did everything possible for him.
  • Potsie
    Potsie Member Posts: 45
    10 Comments Second Anniversary
    I am so sorry for the loss of your Loved One. That is awesome that you were able to care for him until the end. What a special moment he was able to share with you. I hope you find Peace and Comfort.
  • Seasons In The Sun
    Seasons In The Sun Member Posts: 6
    Fourth Anniversary First Comment
    So sorry for your loss.
  • Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,307
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Please accept my sincere condolences on your loss.  What a wonderful moment you shared with your husband - you'll remember it always.  Take care of yourself and rest when you can.
  • GMGYPSY
    GMGYPSY Member Posts: 16
    Fifth Anniversary First Comment

JDMJ1  dear friend, I am sorry to hear of your husbands passing, I am right there with you.  I take comfort that they  are free from suffering.  We on the other hand  have to learn how to live in our own skin.    It's not easy ,  some  things I recommend : lots of books, lots of puzzles, and doing a deep cleaning of the house.   Jerry  before he became bedridden  urinated  on our recliners and in corners and places I haven't  even found yet etc.   so I've had to purchase a new couch.  

I play lots of music (mostly things he wasn't too fond of) but slowly I have added a few pieces that had meaning to the both of us .  Then I just sit down and  cry myself to sleep.   When I wake up I appologize to him  for the times I was less than patient with him  and then out loud I forgive myself   and say I did the best I could.   We all do .  I hope  some of this is helpful.  I have also  joined  a group of other widows, to help in healing.  Take care of yourself             Tami

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    I am sorry for your loss.  Clearly, you went above and beyond to care for your DH for a long time.  I hope you can find peace and strength in the days to come.
  • ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions

(((jdmg))))

I am sorry for your loss, you were a very loving caregiver and the love your DH had for you was in his eyes. Be blessed that you saw and felt that. It's time for you to get that much needed rest you deserve. Hugs Zetta 

• Rosi's Mom
    Rosi's Mom Member Posts: 11
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments

So sorry for your loss! Sending hugs and prayers for comfort and peace.

Peggy

• Nowhere
    Nowhere Member Posts: 272
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions 100 Comments
    No apology needed here for your absence. We understand, support, and grieve with you. May your husband finally be at peace, and may you take  the time and space you need to recover best you can from your trip through dementia with him. It was a harrowing journey that has gracefully ended. Let go. Let be. May your happier times memories see you through.
  • janeymack
    janeymack Member Posts: 55
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments
    How wonderful that the real him came back to greet you as he transitioned. I'm so sorry for your loss. It's like you've lost him twice. You'll find your new place in the world, but please take your time and find your own way. Peace to you.
  • nancyj194
    nancyj194 Member Posts: 172
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

What an amazing thing to happen with the locked eyes, the comment, and the sweet smile. Please accept my heartfelt sympathy. 

• Ricki07
    Ricki07 Member Posts: 3
    Sixth Anniversary First Comment

I am so sorry for your loss. 

Sending my sincerest condolences, hugs and prayers .

Ricki

• Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    You have been an extraordinary caregiver, and I am thrilled you had the loving moment of deep connection.  His suffering is over; it is time for you to heal.  Heartfelt condolences.
  • abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Dear Jd, I have been thinking about you and wondering how you were doing. I hope you know how much you are loved and supported here and respected too. Losing a spouse has got to be one of the hardest things we can experience. It was for me. I was full of guilt over things that I had no control over. I really had done my best but I was just stuck in time and grief. Please don't do that to yourself. I realize we all grieve in our own way. I guess I'm trying to protect you from the hurt and sadness. I'm sorry if this does not make sense. Please accept my sincere sympathy for the loss of your husband.
  • Bevy
    Bevy Member Posts: 11
    Legacy Membership 10 Comments
    I am sorry to hear of the loss of your husband. It is a blessing that you were with him as he passed and he was able to smile and say hello. May the Lord comfort you and your family.
  • piozam13
    piozam13 Member Posts: 72
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments
    JD, I am sorry for your loss.  I too lost  DH January 5.  I feel your pain and empathize with what you're going through.  Let's continue to reach out to friends - we're here for each other.  Piozam
  • mommom9
    mommom9 Member Posts: 11
    Second Anniversary First Comment
    So sorry for you’re loss.
  • telinde
    telinde Member Posts: 195
    Legacy Membership 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    I am sorry for your loss.  Take time to heal and rest.
  • Dreamer Lost
    Dreamer Lost Member Posts: 17
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments
    I am so sorry for your loss. Peace and comfort be with you.
  • Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm glad you had such a sweet moment the day before he passed. May God grant you peace, strength and rest in the days and months ahead. You were a great caregiver.
  • French
    French Member Posts: 445
    100 Comments Second Anniversary
    I don’t often post to reply to such news. I'm afraid of being clumsy because of my poor English. I am sorry for your loss.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more