Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

We are going to keep you safe, even if it kills your spirit.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Josey, thanks for the link. I've often wondered just what goes on in their minds. There's no telling.
  • Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Good article but tough to read. Basically it describes all the reason I put the option of placement on the back burner.
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    While this virus has had a negative effect on most everyone it is heart breaking to read just how devastating it is on our loved ones in a facility.
  • Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions
    DW is long past missing me or any family.  This may be relevant to early Alzheimer's but  but at the late stages we just can just fool ourselves.  My mother had vascular dementia and yes she knew us right up to the end .  But not DW.
  • Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

A sad, but thought provoking article.

I’m with Joe C. COVID (and the isolation of those in facilities)  has given me more than enough reason to re-think placement for now.  DH does not know me, or the kids, or the grandkids, or the butcher, the baker, the candlestick maker; he allows me to care for him completely.  He goes where I take him, he eats what I feed him; anyone could take my place.  I doubt that I’d be missed.  He spends much of each day seated quietly; I can’t imagine his thoughts.  His “sundowning” consists of wandering around our living area, chatting with the plants, gesturing, rearranging small articles.  He’s here, but he’s not “here”.  

As frustrating and exhausting as his care can be, I can’t imagine how he would manage without the daily interaction, however fractured,  he has here.  I’d like to think he’d miss us, although in my heart, I know better.  I know we would miss him.  It’s a dilemma all around. 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more