Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Shower hints

Any hints how to get DW to take a shower without using brute force?

Comments

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    we haven't crossed that bridge yet personally.  but I know Ed gets his daughter involved, if you have access to any family members--or others hire a home health aide for this specifically.  Sometimes strangers get more cooperation than family.......if you can get an aide who's vaccinated, it might be worth it.  Good luck....
  • David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary
    I use the surprise method: “Sweetie, time to wake up and get in the shower!  Here let me help!”
  • Lills
    Lills Member Posts: 156
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions

I crossed that bridge two years ag  Boy, did DH try to get out of taking a shower!  When DH became incontinent, I felt there was no choice.  I tried quite a few things to make him feel comfortable.  I'm happy to say, I 'won'.  

I have a hand-held shower head.  I always warmed the bathroom up to 85 degrees.  (Ugh!).  I had a shower chair, shower cap so that  I never got water in his eyes.  I always gave him his own wash cloth so he could 'help'.  I asked him repeatedly if the water temperature was ok, etc.  I told him step by step what I was going to wash, and each step took 2 seconds (that's important!).  I had a warm towel waiting and his clothes ready.  I always made it positive.  

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

We crossed that bridge some time ago. First, our daughter went shopping for me, and bought new towels and wash cloths, new shower curtain, battery run candles that would be safe if they fell in the water, and we put an Alexa in the bathroom for music. It was much like a spa. It worked for 2 or 3 days, then that was over.

Daughter was visiting, and knowing how much trouble I had trying to get her mother to bathe, she talked her mother into bathing. Then she asked me not to mention bathing again, and she would handle it. I agreed. When Covid hit, she began calling her on the phone every other day to tell her it was time to bathe. This has been working since then, and I never mention it.

Bathroom must be kept warm......................................................................................................... Water heater should be set below 120 degrees to avoid possible scalding..................................... Keep water out of the face.............................................................................................................. The shower floor should be light colored. Dark colors might be seen as a hole............................ Water temperature must be (and remain) comfortable................................................................. Try music in the room..................................................................................................................... It's best if adjoining rooms are very close to bathroom temperature. If they are colder, LO will freeze when walking out of the bathroom....................................................................................... Always keep the mood light. Smile and make small talk............................................................... A shower chair is worth considering............................................................................................... Keep the bathroom nice to look at.................................................................................................. 

If you have a family member or close friend, they might have better luck talking her into bathing. That's about all I can think of for now. Good luck. I know it's tough.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more