Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

The Dog has Dementia too

Sigh.  .Well if life with Alzheimers wasn’t bizarre enough, the 15 yr old dog has dementia too. Right now I’m here listening to the sound of his pacing up and down the hall. He will do this all night . I had to block his way or he will come check on me all night and wake me up. And the shadowing! Picture me walking through the house followed by my husband and then the dog following him.

And don’t get me started on his incontinence. At least it is random and not every night. But between the protections I’ve put around the house for my husband  and now for the dog it really is too much. I don’t mean to be gross, but the worst part is if I see a puddle I don't know who’s done it . I have to do a whiff test. 

I have this weird feeling that when my husband leaves us , he is going to take the dog with him. 

Ok my vent is over . But really who is going to understand how crazy this is but you guys? And feel free to laugh because it really is just nutty enough to be funny at this point.

Comments

• David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary

I am chuckling Battlebuddy because I have my own parade here too!  I don’t think my 12 year old dog has dementia, but she wants to be where we are. 

I think we all have done the sniff test:  Is that just water?  Is that just chocolate? 

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Our dog is only 8. Maybe we'll be spared for a while.
  • Rescue mom
    Rescue mom Member Posts: 988
    500 Comments Fourth Anniversary 5 Likes
    One of our toy poodles lived to around 20 (vet said)  and he and others we had over 15 yo or so had dementia. Vet said dogs do get it. Now that people care better/more  for the dogs, the dogs live longer and voila, more doggie dementia. (Of course some breeds live longer than others, regardless). I could handle the doggie dementia ok, it’s amazingly similar to people (funny not funny). It was the seizures that were really horrible....
  • LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Our last dog, a Jack Russell Terrier lived to be 17. He had dementia towards the end. He would pace at night for hours. Like I do with DH, I took special care to ensure the dog knew he was safe and loved. He was an amazing and loyal friend. We miss him.
  • abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Battlebuddy, I have two dogs. One is truly a narcissist. I'm considering therapy for both of us.

Hang in there! Sending you good wishes!

• MyMaxie
    MyMaxie Member Posts: 5
    Third Anniversary First Comment
    I needed your post today and the chuckle.  You described my home life perfectly.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more