Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Why can't it always be the same?

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Not too long ago, my wife wanted to go to her mother's place. But I wasn't sure if she knew her mother was dead. It wasn't long before the subject turned to my mother. I told her my mother was dead. She said "well, so is mine". So I guess she wanted to visit the gravesite.

This morning she wanted to go again. I asked her what she would do if we could go. She said she'd visit with her mother. Again I told her the roads were closed in Illinois due to Covid. 

I'd say 80% of the time she acts like she knows exactly what is going on. Very normal. Why is it that when she says something, it will mean one thing, and the exact phrase will mean something totally different another time? 

She worked as an RN, and her favorite place to work was when she worked in the hospital, on the afternoon shift, also known as "three to elevens" (three o'clock to eleven). Now when she gets stuck finding a word, she will very frequently say something like "Let's go to the "three to elevens". And she can't understand why I don't know what she wants. And she will almost always either quit talking after several attempts when she gets stuck, or "three to elevens" becomes the missing word. It's mind boggling!

Comments

• nancyj194
    nancyj194 Member Posts: 172
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Ed, you handled it so well with your DW wanting to go see her mother and then again with yours.  It is so hard to know what to do when those questions/comments pop up.  

That's the nature of the disease, which can be all over the place at times.  

My DH still seems aware that his mother is gone, as is his younger sister. Maybe one day he won't.  

Interesting about the three to eleven comments. Maybe the reasoning with that comment is truly gone, but that phrase is stuck in her brain and so out it comes.  It is frustrating when she is trying to say something, but you can't figure it out.  It happens a lot with my DH. After a bit it time with me trying to understand, he will say, "oh never mind."

• sandwichone123
    sandwichone123 Member Posts: 742
    500 Comments 100 Likes Third Anniversary 25 Insightfuls Reactions

Your wife was right. I used to love working the 3-11 shift. Sleep in, maybe go out for lunch, go to work, come home and relax, go to bed. It was a great life!

Diane

• abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes

Ed, I think everything about this disease is mind boggling. I'm sorry for what you and she are going through. I'd give anything to have a conversation with my Mom. I miss that so much. As you well know, this disease has no boundaries. It truly robs our LO's of everything.

Thank you for sharing so much with us. I hope you know how much you are respected and appreciated.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more