Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Fidget toy ideas

My Dh, stage 7, will often twist his blanket or towel or whatever he is holding in his hand, so I recently gave him one of the dog toys (it was new) that had a small rubber ball in the middle of a rope with knots.  Then I gave him a large jumbo hot dog that crinkles.  He will sometimes twist the ball around the rope or try to pull it off. It gives him something to hold onto besides a pillow. 
Any other ideas?  

Comments

• HusbandHasEO
    HusbandHasEO Member Posts: 12
    Second Anniversary First Comment

I'm right there with you.  My husband is also Stage 7 and bedridden.  I have also given him dog toys and small stuffed animals.  My home nurse aid recommended a backpack because of the straps and pockets.  I had a nice fabric one and he liked holding the handles.  We put things inside the backpack and while he sometimes needs help getting the things out, it is something to interact with him on... "let's see what is in your backpack?"

The squishy hand stress balls work nicely too.  I bought some mini bean bag lady bugs at Target and he likes gripping them.

My husband also likes a knitted scarf that we had (an unfinished project)

Amazon sells fidget pillows for Alzheimer's patients.  They have straps, zippers, different textures.

One thing to be careful of....anything small that DH might bite off or rip off with his hands and put in his mouth.  There were small M&M size beads on one fidget item.  He pulled them off and then started to eat them.  Since them I make sure any fidget items don't have "parts" like that.

• aod326
    aod326 Member Posts: 235
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments

OMG Dreamer - thank you! DH, also well into Stage 7, has developed a really strong grip, and will grip tightly the sheets, bed bars, or anything in reach. After reading your post, I bought a dog rope toy, and it's perfect! He's had it in his hand almost since I gave it to him, and I'm thinking of getting another one for his other hand.

I would never have thought of it - thank you! 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more