Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Who would have known Celexa was needed and makes the difference

Was having issues with DH for a while due to extreme sun-downing, agitation, sometimes aggression, etc., that has been going on for some time.  I have posted about it looking for solutions, advice, etc.

DH has been on Seroquel for awhile..  Adjustments had to be made because too much at one time made him worse.  Finding the right formula to ease his symptoms we found that giving 50mg at one time is best for us only at 3:00 pm.  Otherwise 25 mg in the AM, 6:00 PM, and at 8:00 PM does the best for him when he retires for the night.

Also, the Dr. of Internal Medicine put him on 20 mg Celexa in the morning.  Other meds were recommended by the Neurologist but did not work, like Depakote, Buspirone, Risperdal. Since everyone has a different body chemistry it does come down to trial and tweaking.

But - the Celexa has done the job after all this time wondering what we can do to calm him down.  I have seen a remarkable change in his behavior.  Of course I am still waiting to see if this is what will work in the long term because I know as his disease progresses we have to make adjustments to medications.

I wish we did not have to use medications but his behavior was getting out of control for me to handle with the pacing from morning until night, anger, etc.  No more of that now.  He still has a bit of sun-downing but nothing like he had previously that had been going on for over a year.

I finally have some rest and relief.  I pray it continues for a while.

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I'm sure there will be people who can use this information. Thank you.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more