Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Questions: Cleaning up poop with shaving cream

1. Does it matter what kind of shaving cream I use to clean up poop?
  2. Does shaving gel also work to clean up poop?
  3. Should anything menthol be avoided?
  4. Do I just slather the shaving cream on, then wipe it off?
  5. Do I rinse DH after wiping off the shaving cream?
  6. Can shaving cream also be used for the bathroom clean-up, for example, when poop is smeared on the floor, wall, toilet seat, et cetera?
  7. Anything else I should know about the shaving cream tip?

Thank you. All poop related tips and tricks are welcome!

Comments

• caberr
    caberr Member Posts: 211
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    Sorry no advice... but boy does this scare me! Not looking forward to this part of the disease!
  • Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,671
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Lady Texan hope somebody comes along with your answers.    Have no experience with this.  Know when I joined quite a few people liked using it.  Tried to find it in archives, but said no results found.  Hopefully someone will be along to help.
  • A Dream Catcher
    A Dream Catcher Member Posts: 1
    Fourth Anniversary First Comment

Hi all. We have used shaving creme for a few years after seeing it posted here.

I will share what I do know. I've never used shaving gel so I don't win that one.

We use standard Old Spice (does it date me?). Besides it smells better

Yes you can spray it on a wipe and just wipe away. We have found no need to separately clean after but do not leave it caked on. We use wet wipes so we just put it on the wipes and then clean.We usually wipe with wet ones first then use the SC for the final and hard to clean spots.Then final clean with clean wipes.

Remember to not leave his bum wet - that will contribute to sores.

As for cleaning poop spills, I see no harm in trying it. It does not usually have bleach in it.

Ask away if other questions. Just think how nice your husband will feel smelling like the shaving creme. Might help his disposition

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    I don't know much about it, but I do remember reading about it. IIRC, it is usually used for places that have dried. Just buy the cheapest shaving cream in a can that you can find. I don't think there is an advantage of using it on places that are fresh. If anyone can add to this thread, I'm sure there will be people interested in it.
  • Cynbar
    Cynbar Member Posts: 539
    500 Comments Third Anniversary 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    I use shaving cream occasionally on the tile floor around the toilet to get rid of urine odor (DH sometimes misses the toilet.) Works great. I just spray some on the floor (doesn't have to be too thick), leave it for a few minutes and then wipe up with a couple damp paper towels. Any brand will do. Have never tried gel but I don't see why not.
  • anneleigh
    anneleigh Member Posts: 65
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments
    Good suggestions!  Not looking forward to this happening as well.
  • zauberflote
    zauberflote Member Posts: 272
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

No experience with this, but I would guess that menthol might burn or smart, particularly on the female anatomy. 

I am going to try that for the pee odor left us by house's previous owner! And there is also a strong smell of human feces in the hardwood just outside the bathroom door which became apparent the moment we ripped up the carpet. Shaving cream much cheaper than refinishing the (definitely needs it) floor!

• LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I am steering clear of the menthol because I agree it could sting or burn. I am especially cognizant of this because DH was previously struggling with burning hemorrhoids.

The gel I have in the house is tinted green (sensitive skin) or blue (menthol). I am avoiding those as well in case the tint stains the grout around the toilet bottom.

I'm heading to the store this morning for regular white shaving cream. I will let you know how it goes. 

THANKS EVERYONE. I'll update you on the practical application based on my experience once I figure this out.

Just a reminder that each and everyone of you is a caregiver superstar. 

• NinjaWife
    NinjaWife Member Posts: 4
    Third Anniversary First Comment
    I use Barbasol with soothing aloe on my DH.  Scrubbing Bubbles spray cleaner for floors and bathroom fixtures.  I once used Scrubbing Bubbles to remove black walnut skins that were stuck on my white car from squirrels chewing on them on the tree limb above where the car was parked.  Just spray it on dried or difficult to remove feces (or black walnut skins) and let it sit a while.  It will soften the debris and make it easy to remove.
  • JJAz
    JJAz Member Posts: 285
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments
    I used cheap Barbasol, with a fragrance as I recall.  Lemon-lime?  No gel.  Wipe off as much poo as you can with baby wipes, toilet paper, kleenex, etc., then apply shaving cream to clean up anything that sticks.  Doesn't need to be rinsed, but use baby wipes until you don't see any more color on them.  And yes, shaving cream for bathroom cleanup is good.  I even used it on the carpet with success.  It's particularly useful for anything crusty or smelly.
  • LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

I slept in this morning because I torqued out my back assisting my parents on Thursday. 

I woke up to the crappiest bathroom event ever. When I walked out of the bedroom, DH was unhappy and had poop caked on his leg and hind side. 

• I warmed up the bathroom with the walk in shower and hand held shower head. 
    • I talked to DH in a very soothing voice. 
    • I coaxed DH into the warmed up bathroom and went to work with the Barbasol. 
    • I followed up with a lathering of bath soap and used the opportunity to wash his hair.
    • I dried him off and got him dressed.
    • I fed him breakfast.
    • He is now listening to music and less distressed than before.
    • I cleaned the bathroom top to bottom and started the laundry. 
    Thank goodness you all prepared me for how to handle crappy mornings like this.

The heroes of the morning are:  

• Barbasol and 
    • you caregiver soldiers who armed me with the knowledge I needed to tackle the mess.
    Thanks again everyone. I could not do this without you!
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Sorry you messed up your back. Hopefully a little rest will take care of it.

It looks like you started this thread just in time. I don't know what any of us would do without the forum. We are surely family!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more