Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Continence issues

Liz B
Liz B Member Posts: 3
Second Anniversary First Comment

Greetings all,

We are in a new phase! Incontinence, mostly at night. DH is wearing the CVS version of Depends (didn't like the Depends), but he is definitely leaking through, thus we are beginning an unwelcome sheet-changing at O-dark-thirty regimen. Do I insist on Depends? Is there something else? Do you double up? What has worked for those of you already dealing with this?

THANK you!

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Hi Liz. Sorry you're dealing with this. My wife is pretty much urine incontinent, but has not soaked the bed yet. One of our daughters told me to use layers on the bed. First is a leakproof mattress cover, then a leakproof pad, followed by a fitted sheet, a top sheet, then a leakproof pad, followed by a fitted sheet, a top sheet, and again a leakproof pad, followed by a fitted sheet, and a top sheet, etc. As many layers as you want. Then if you're busy, or in the middle of night, you can just rip off one set of sheets and pad, and you have another already on the bed. That's what I have now.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Here is a link you might find helpful. You can order samples for $2.00, or you can buy whatever you want. Samples take a little longer to get. https://www.parentgiving.com/shop/search?w=samples  
  • Liz B
    Liz B Member Posts: 3
    Second Anniversary First Comment
    That is brilliant! Great idea, and I'll try the free trial noted by Ed as well.
  • Birdies
    Birdies Member Posts: 19
    Fifth Anniversary 10 Comments

Hi Liz,

Ed gave a great suggestion.  We hadn’t thought of that.

My Dad puts 2 pairs of briefs on my mom.  On the bed is a waterproof mattress cover, then a waterproof pad, then a bottom sheet, then a washable waterproof pad, then a disposable waterproof pad. 

All of this saves the hassle of constant sheet laundering.

You can buy both disposable and washable waterproof incontinence pads on Amazon.

This forum will be a great source for you.

Hope this helps 

• KeithH
    KeithH Member Posts: 5
    Third Anniversary First Comment

Hi Liz,

So sorry to hear. I had recently went through the same with DW. The depends couldn’t hold a full bladder. I know she is a woman and things are different for a male, but I started adding Pose overnight pads to the depends. The seem to hold a full bladder, which in turns stops the zero dark thirty sheet changes.

• lqadams
    lqadams Member Posts: 51
    Legacy Membership 10 Comments 5 Likes
    Can anyone help me with what size Tranquility overnight briefs to buy? My husnand is 230 lbs, 6'. They are unisex and I can't find any size chart. Thanks.
  • Dreamer Lost
    Dreamer Lost Member Posts: 17
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments
    No matter what depends my DH wore, he still leaked through.  Through the side, the back, or he pulled it out.  I did the layers for the longest time like Ed describes but even then, I washed everyday, sheets, peepads (reusable dog peepads worked the best).  Finally Dh reached a stage where I could use an external catheter (like a condom hooked to a catheter bag hose).  It works great.   You may try pushing liquids early in the day and then limiting them later in the day also to help reduce output during the night while still keeping them hydrated.  I also have heard some wake their LO up during the night and take them to the bathroom.
  • lqadams
    Thanks for the help. Maybe I will order 2 samples first, large and xlarge. I'm  just so tired of doing laundry. This a.m. the blankets were wet too. I had to put up a clothes line to hang sheets etc. My electric bill had increased by $50/mo from using dryer. So frustrated.
  • jfkoc
    jfkoc Member Posts: 3,754
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The 6 sided waterproof mattress cover is essential. We then used pads...the washable kind used in the hospital...then I got the kind that covers a crib mattress. Layering is good. When Hospice arrived they provided disposable pads.
  • aod326
    aod326 Member Posts: 235
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments

Hi. The start of incontinence was a hard thing for me - not because of the actual physical issues, but because I could no longer pretend this wasn't a downward journey. I hope you're managing to stay as upbeat as possible.  If your husband is just beginning with incontinence, he may not accept this option, but overnight "tab-style" briefs are so much more absorbent. But they are an adult version of a baby's diaper and he may baulk at wearing one. We use Prevail - amazing absorbency.

Best of luck.

• JJAz
    JJAz Member Posts: 285
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments

By far, the best overnight product that we used was Abena Abri-flex M2 (M2 is the size).  Not cheap, but worth every penny.  Available from Amazon and other online stores.

Blessings,

Jamie

• lqadams
    Thanks aod326. I don't  think he would accept tab closure undies. Since he has been wearing Depends, even during the day, for quite some time, I ordered a sample pair of Tranquility briefs.  Hopefully they will work. I just hung up 3 bottom sheets to dry and put in another load of urine soaked sheets and pajamas. It is an endless process.
  • lqadams
    And thx JJAz. If Tranquility don't work will order Abena.
  • Doityourselfer
    Doityourselfer Member Posts: 224
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments
    I buy the CVS brand for my husband and what I've learned is to buy the correct size.  I started off buying the Large but now use Small/Medium since my husband has lost some weight.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more