Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Life Balance

David J
David J Member Posts: 479
100 Comments Third Anniversary

I have been using Noom to lose weight and make healthy decisions in my day to day life. I’ve copied one of the lessons below. As I read this with our situation in mind, I was struck by how much is applicable, and how inapplicable the rest is!  I hope you find it interesting.

Sorry about the font; I can’t change it on the cell phone.

Family-Life Balance

This week we're looking at different aspects of your life and how they balance one another. Today we're taking a closer look at family-life balance.

Spending time with family is a great way to bond, de-stress, and have fun. Family also provides people with a sense of support, love, fulfillment, belonging, and happiness.

Sometimes though, family responsibilities can take away from other aspects of your life. From driving your kids to their extracurricular activities to attending events hosted by siblings, cousins, or distant relatives to cleaning the house and walking the dog, sometimes family obligations can seem to dictate your day and make it difficult to find a healthy family-life balance.

That being said, there are a number of strategies that you can use to find a healthy family-life balance.

1. Evaluate your relationships:Take a look at the relationships you have with your family members. Are they bringing you joy and adding value to your life or are they draining and a source of added stress? Evaluating your relationships can help identify areas where you need to find a more healthy balance.

2. Express yourself: It's difficult to say "no," especially to family. However, being open and honest and sharing your feelings about your relationships, your responsibilities, your expectations, and your commitments is a great way to help create healthy relationships and find a good balance.

3. Share the work: Maintaining a household is tough stuff! Recruit your spouse, children, and anyone else in your home to participate in daily chores to avoid spreading yourself too thin. For example, have your children help you prepare a healthy meal or create a rotation where everyone cleans a different common space each week.

4. Create a routine: You've learned that planning is a great way to manage your time. Try scheduling regular family activities to prioritize family time. Make every second Friday family movie night, invite your relatives over once a month for Sunday dinner, or plan a family bike ride every Tuesday evening.

Comments

• LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Hello David.

I am not familiar with Noom. I am attracted to the idea of making healthy decisions on a daily basis. For the last month I have gone way of the rails. It started with the ice storm, then the repairs needed as a result of the ice storm and then the torqued out back.....notice a them here?

I have plenty of excuses, but no good reasons for avoiding healthy choices. The good news is that I read your post and it was a pleasant reminder that I have the power to choose.

Thank you for the inspiration!

• aod326
    aod326 Member Posts: 235
    Third Anniversary 100 Comments

"Share the work" - HA!

Good luck David - I lost 50lbs with Zoom in 2019!

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more