Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

MCI-- Getting exam for future comparison

I received the dx (diagnosis) of Mild Cognitive Impairment after an MRI of my brain showed significant shrinkage for my age.

The neurologist believed it was the reason for my cognitive impairment and increased falling from a standing position.

The neuropsychiatrist confirmed that dx, but without extensive cognitive testing.

I will receive a cognitive test to use for future comparison in May.

Self advocacy.
I find myself finding holes in my memory when looking for specific words and portions of past events.  Not complete blackout, but significant loss.
The brief cognitive tests I have had don't really demonstrate my memory loss.  So many tests aren't challenging enough.  Not all of us notice impairment only after big change.  

Seems that finding impairment and change earlier before significant disability would be useful.

Anyway, I am curious about the tests and will be glad to have something in place for future comparison.

Comments

• Iris L.
    Iris L. Member Posts: 4,306
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

I don't remember if you are on Aricept or Exelon patch.  Exelon patch is helping my memory.  It's very important to have a comprehensive neurocognitive evaluation.  But if you are not already on medication, it might be a good idea to test before meds, so you can compare the effects of the medication after several months.  Brain atrophy can be also due to multiple sclerosis and other conditions.

Iris

• lorettafcr@gmail.com
    [email protected] Member Posts: 1
    Second Anniversary First Comment
    It's the comprehensive neuropsych testing that will confirm your diagnosis and tell what specific problems you are experiencing. I kept complaining about memory loss. But after testing, it found nothing wrong with my memory. It was my ability to pay attention that was impaired. I am in a cognitive rehabilitation program now. My therapist tells me I am making progress, but it's hard for me to tell. Hopefully, once you get tested your doctor will be able to see if you may benefit from rehabilitation.
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Hello Loretta and a very warm welcome to you.  It is good to know that your therapy is beginning to show results in improvement; that is great news.

One thing; your avatar name on your Post is your personal email address.  I wonder if you would like to consider removing that as your, "name," and change it to something else less personal.

The reason for that would be, that on any Message Board, there are opportunists that scan looking for opportunities for mischief, they it can be quite subtle at first; it is much safer to never provide any personal information, especially contact information.

In any case, it is delightful to meet you; we are looking forward to getting to know you better and thank you for your suggestion.

J.

• icesheet99
    icesheet99 Member Posts: 4
    Third Anniversary First Comment
    My brain MRI several years ago also showed decreased volume for age.  I had two more MRIs done the next two years for comparison.  So I am wondering if you had any comparative studies to see if there was actual progression.
  • KawKaw
    KawKaw Member Posts: 58
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments

I have had one MRI 18 months ago.

I had been falling for reasons I could not understand and have been having issues with memory and concentration for several years.

I imagine I will have another at some point to use for comparison.

I have other disabilities that make dx complicated, because treatment for these conditions can affect memory and cognition.

One of my lifetime conditions is suspected to be associated with accelerated aging, whether causing it or co-occuring with it.

• bbbonbon
    bbbonbon Member Posts: 11
    10 Comments Second Anniversary
    Hello! It's the comprehensive neuropsych testing that will confirm your diagnosis and tell what specific problems you are experiencing. My friend complained of memory loss and how it turned out she had a MS. Now she is undergoing therapy with some drugs ( https://www.canadapharmacy.com/products/tecfidera if I'm not mistaken). Her symptoms have eased and she is feeling much better. So I advise you to check with your doctor to know what is happening to you.
  • bbbonbon
    bbbonbon Member Posts: 11
    10 Comments Second Anniversary
    It's the comprehensive neuropsych testing that will confirm your diagnosis and tell what specific problems you are experiencing. My friend complained of memory loss and how it turned out she had a MS. Now she is undergoing therapy with some drugs ( https://www.canadapharmacy.com/products/tecfidera if I'm not mistaken). Her symptoms have eased and she is feeling much better. So I advise you to check with your doctor to know what is happening to you

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more