Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

neurologist visit(1)

JJ401
JJ401 Member Posts: 312
Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Care Reactions

DH had a neurologist visit yesterday. (This morning he asked me if he had gone or missed the visit. He checks the calendar every day.) He's slid downhill since the last visit and a new med (memantine) was added. 

But, before we left, the neurologist did something I didn't expect. He turned to me and asked how I was doing. He said that he knew I was taking care of DH, but not to forget to take care of myself, to draw in family support if I can (I can't). It was just so nice to be thought of.

Comments

• French
    French Member Posts: 445
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

Often, my partner's doctor asked me how I was and he also had explained to my partner that is was also difficult for me.He explained me that I mustn't to forget myself.

Last time, he thanked me for all what I was doing. I was really surprised.

Las time the neurologist explained to my partner that as I am still working and having children at home, I may not be able to care for him very long. She taold him that he should know that I may have to find other solutions such as placement and that I have to prepare it before being too overwhelmed because it woud be dangerous for my health.

He heard it but it is a topic he doesn't want to speak.

• Doityourselfer
    Doityourselfer Member Posts: 224
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments
    My husband's GP and neurologist always ask me how I'm doing as well, and tell me to call them if I have any questions.  These doctors know that dementia involves more than the patient.
  • Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Our neurologist visits are done in three parts:  the three of us, the doctor and me, and the doctor and my DW.  The doc clearly is aware that DW’s well-being is highly dependent on me and on my ability to continue to be a caregiver, so checks on how I’m doing as well as what changes I perceive in my DW’s condition.
  • Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    We just had a telemed  visit with DH's neurologist as well. He has always been very knowledgeable, realistic, kind and positive. Same is true about his primary care doc. After this telemed visit, I felt like I had gone through a therapist visit for me! He was very helpful talking about guilt, my health and well-being, and my adjustment now that DH is in MC. Like you said, it was so nice to be thought of and recognized for what we caregivers go through.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more