Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Button down your Plan B! When the caregiver goes down.

Beachfan
Beachfan Member Posts: 790
Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
Thursday, I got my second dose of Moderna COVID vaccine. Felt a little cold during the night, achy, arm was tender.  Friday more of the same, but I managed a trip to the store and usual care for DH, but just felt tired, sluggish, wonky.  At 3:30 PM, waiting at the bus stop for my granddaughter, I passed out cold!  Luckily, I landed in a holly bush and not on my face on the brick sidewalk.  Thankfully, my daughter was also there, an ambulance was called and with no formal plan in place, the caregiver needed care!

My daughter and son met me at the ER, SIL rushed in to care for DH, granddaughter, age 10, stepped in to care for granddaughter, age 6, and for the next 6 hours, I was at the mercy of the Drs., nurses and every machine known to man, undergoing test after test, all the while insisting I was FINE and needed to get home.  It was organized disorder across the board.  
Long story short, nothing was amiss.  It was just an isolated incident for an otherwise perfectly healthy person with a little dehydration and low potassium thrown in for good measure. I couldn't help but wonder what would have happened if family were not near by and willing and able to pitch in.  They didn't miss a beat; poor SIL had to deal with DH and an out of nowhere, (vaccine side effect?), bout of diarrhea.  Across the board, it was an eye opening experience and one which reinforced that "no man is an island".  I am so deeply appreciative of, and indebted to my kids, their spouses and the grands.  I wish all caregivers had access to such support in a crisis, big or small.  

When I finally blew in the door, well after 10 PM, I said to DH, "Hi buddy, I'm back, Did you miss me?"  "No"  A fitting ending to a chaotic afternoon.  

Comments

• mrl
    mrl Member Posts: 166
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Likes

Oh Lynn,

God Bless You....you're the bomb.com!!!

Michele

• loc3762
    loc3762 Member Posts: 15
    Ninth Anniversary 10 Comments
    I'm glad you were not seriously ill and that your daughter was with you.  How nice that everyone came to your aid.
  • ladyzetta
    ladyzetta Member Posts: 1,028
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Likes 5 Insightfuls Reactions
    Lynn,   I am so glad that your OK. Thanks for the reminder about needing back up care plans in place. Did the Dr. think it was a reaction to the vaccine?  Please get some rest.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    We don't think about situations like that when we're feeling well. Glad it wasn't something that would keep you out of caretaking for a while. That's something that is always on my mind. Good to have you back. Now take it easy, and get a little rest.
  • Marie58
    Marie58 Member Posts: 382
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    Oh my gosh, what an experience! Glad you are OK and so thankful for your family for stepping in. Sorry DH didn't miss you...although I'm sure he was just confused and meant to say 'yes'!!
  • Lills
    Lills Member Posts: 156
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Care Reactions

Yikes!  Glad you are ok!

I get my second Moderna dose tomorrow.  Son is 'on deck' to care for DH.  Oh boy....

• David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary
    Lynn, glad everything turned out ok but what a scare!  I live in fear of something happening to me because I have no support. If I passed out at the bus stop there would be no one to cover. Thank goodness it all worked out for you.
  • June45
    June45 Member Posts: 364
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments 5 Insightfuls Reactions 5 Care Reactions
    So glad it turned out all right for you Lynn. I envy you having family nearby.  I am in the same boat as David J.  Absolutely no one to step in.  I suppose my neighbor might help, but who knows.  You are right; I need to figure out something for Plan B.
  • Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    Glad you are OK now but what a fright for all concerned.  And such a good reminder about Plan B, which is not something I have locked down.
  • Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    I am glad you recovered quickly. We have our 2nd Moderna on the 21st, I have been worried about the side effects on DW but need to firm up my plan if I’m the one that goes down. Fortunately my sister-in-law that’s an RN lives close by and our caregiver will be here the following day.
  • JM1316
    JM1316 Member Posts: 26
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments
    Oh boy, you handled it like a champ!   Glad it worked out and you have a great support system.
  • abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Wow! Thank goodness for family and well placed holly bushes! Hope you continue to feel better. My Dad and I are in the middle of making a Plan B due to his slipping on ice. I don’t mind at all jumping in to help him, my problem is living 9 hours away from them.
  • anneleigh
    anneleigh Member Posts: 65
    Fourth Anniversary 10 Comments

so glad you are ok!

Blessings to you~

• caberr
    caberr Member Posts: 211
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    What a scary thing to happen!  So glad you are ok and had the help you needed.
  • Beachfan

Thanks to all for your well wishes and encouragement.  Back to the bus stop this AM and no PTSD.  LOL.  

If nothing else, I hope my experience reinforces the idea that we all have a back up care plan, even if it’s not perfect.  I am, thankfully, incredibly healthy and we live on our daughter’s property, just seconds away, and yet in the blink of an eye, I was out of commission for 6 hours.  Food for thought.  Thanks again and bless all of us!  

• Ed1937
    Beachfan wrote:

Back to the bus stop this AM and no PTSD. 

That's great! Did they think it was caused from being under hydrated? 

• Beachfan

Ed,

The ER Dr. said I may have been just feverish enough (without knowing) to cause dehydration and drop in Potassium.  That surprised me because I am really cognizant about proper diet and hydration for DH and I’m right there on the receiving end as well.  I had been sitting in the sun with DH for awhile just before the incident.  I guess it all came together for the perfect storm.  Everything is back to normal now, except the kids are hovering, but that will pass.  Thanks for your concern.  

• Ed1937
    Beachfan wrote:

Thanks for your concern.  

Hey, we have to keep you well. You're an important part of this family.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more