Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Fall Detection Devices?(1)

Liz B
Liz B Member Posts: 3
Second Anniversary First Comment

Hi all. Now I'm looking into fall detection devices. Some of them seem to have all these services I don't need. IF I am running to the store for 45 minutes (which I can still do), I want him to be wearing a device to monitor falls. I do not need a GPS for location (he's not that mobile, doesn't wander, and I'm usually home), and heart monitoring, etc. 

I DO want something simple, preferably a watch-type instead of a neck pendant, because I would like him to just keep it on and get used to it as we move forward. Waterproof would be a nice feature, too. 

What has worked for you all?

Comments

• JJAz
    JJAz Member Posts: 285
    Seventh Anniversary 100 Comments
    Apple watch.  But it seems like an expensive solution to this problem.
  • harshedbuzz
    harshedbuzz Member Posts: 4,353
    Seventh Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Insightfuls Reactions 500 Likes
    Liz B-

What do you want from the device? Sometimes family members want a device that alerts them so they can come home and assist. Typically, the "alert" watches and pendants alert emergency services which could be an issue if they referred to APS because they felt he wasn't safe alone. 

My mother has an inexpensive one she found through Walmart I think on the advice of a friend. I have no idea how it works, as I haven't ever seen her wear it in the 2 years she'd had it. GPS is typically included as the person using the device might not be able to tell the call center where they are. I myself wear an Apple Watch, it is a more expensive option (watch + monthly dedicated phone line) but I like that it allows me to determine if I need help or not without talking to someone. 

HB
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    harshedbuzz wrote:
    Liz B-

What do you want from the device? Sometimes family members want a device that alerts them so they can come home and assist. Typically, the "alert" watches and pendants alert emergency services which could be an issue if they referred to APS because they felt he wasn't safe alone. 

I agree with that. We use Med Alert. The way it works is if you fall or otherwise push a button in case of other emergency, an operator will answer within 45 seconds. If you don't respond, an ambulance is called. If you do talk to them, you can tell them an ambulance is not needed. You do this if you are testing the device to make sure it is working properly. The only other option I can think of is cameras that you can monitor with a cell phone. 

• LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

We have been using a product by Phillips for about 2 months now. It detects falls.

See the products at #1 Medical Alert Service in the U.S | Philips Lifeline ®

If a fall is detected by the device or DH pushes the button, the device connects to a person at the call center.  The call center asks if assistance is needed. If there is no response, assistance is summoned. Conversely, DH or I can state all is well, the call center confirms all is well by additional questions and the device is reset.

The device goes around DH's neck and he can wear it in the shower.

I ensure he always wears it when I am in the yard or run to the store or pharmacy.

• ElaineD
    ElaineD Member Posts: 206
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments 25 Care Reactions

Before I bought my Apple Watch, I had Great Call.

https://www.inhomesafetyguide.org/greatcall-lively-rating-review/

Elaine

• Paul&Me
    Paul&Me Member Posts: 21
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Comments
    Similar to the Apple watch, there is a Fit Bit that can detect falls. My brothers and sister and I were looking into what to give our mom, who lives alone. She won't wear a watch, is allergic to the part that needs skin contact to work.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more