Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Blog

There is a great blog written by a lady in England whose husband Ash has dementia. It is called Memory for two. She has an amazing way of looking at life and seems to be able to turn things around and make something positive out of them. I am inspired each day I read it. She also has a Facebook page.

Comments

• Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes

Gig, Thank you for sharing this. I read a few of her post and I really identify with her perspective. I try to find happiness in the little things, the walks with DW in the sunshine or an finding an old Valentines card or note. 

Everyday I try to find something to be grateful for. It might be the family member who helped out with something, the friend that called of stopped by or just the factor that DW took a shower today. I am very lucky. I have a good support system, DW has a great sense of humor (which actually developed post dementia) and she is generally not that challenging to care for.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Thank you very much for this info. Anything that can put a positive twist is sorely needed in our community. I'll be sure to check it out.
  • Battlebuddy
    Battlebuddy Member Posts: 331
    100 Comments Third Anniversary 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Gig harbor, 

Thank you so much for posting this. I appreciate it very much. I took a quick look and liked what I saw - the positive approach. I must admit I’ve been troubled by a long ,very negative ,and depressing post that appeared in the last couple days here. I wanted to say something there but didn’t. Needed to process what was said.

It is so important to see this journey realistically . That means seeing all the terrible aspects of the disease and dealing with them for what they are. But there also needs to be recognition of the good that happens- the moments of love, peace, and dare I say beauty. If we don’t make room for that, seek it out, and experience that, I don’t see how we are going to make it. I try to do that - to see the good with the bad. If nothing else we need to reflect on what a good job we did today taking care of our loved one. 

Yesterday I took my husband to the beach . I  enjoyed the waves , birds, and smells . Turned to my husband to ask how he was and he said terrible. He wasn’t feeling any of it. Mostly wanted to leave. He did enjoy the trip to Wawa after.But I choose to remember the good moments not what went wrong with the trip. I have to. I very much want to make it through this with at least some semblance of goodness and love in me intact.

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Battlebuddy wrote:

It is so important to see this journey realistically . That means seeing all the terrible aspects of the disease and dealing with them for what they are. But there also needs to be recognition of the good that happens- the moments of love, peace, and dare I say beauty. If we don’t make room for that, seek it out, and experience that, I don’t see how we are going to make it. 

I couldn't agree more. If we focus on the negatives, we will almost surely have a much harder time than focusing on the positives.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more