Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Donepezil and cold

French
French Member Posts: 445
100 Comments Second Anniversary

I already posted about coughing. My partner often cough. I think it began more than a year ago. The doctor sent us to do a lung and sinus X-ray. I delayed because I was sure if the result and finally we did it. Nothing, I knew it. No, it’s more as an allergic cough. 

He also blows his nose all the time, even in summer. Today I checked the donepezil side effects, and I was very surprised to read « cold » (rhume in French) in the frequent (1 to 10%) side effects. I wouldn’t have imagined that it could be a side effect of pills.

It is not very annoying, and probably not worth stopping the medication, but I wonder if other possible medications would be better and if we can change, mainly for his comfort.

He hasn’t any other side effects. Not really diarrhea but I just notice that he needs to poop often and seems to be in a hurry. For example, if we go for a walk, after, he needs to go immediately and he seems annoyed with that till he can go to the bathroom. it is certainly a small side effect also, but for the moment, as he is able to manage, it’s not annoying.

I will ask the doctors, but on these things I feel as if they didn’t believe me or consider what I state. I am living with him and perfectly able to recognize when a coughing comes from the lungs or is just an irritation... i raised 5 children !

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more