Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Our family meeting

Ed1937
Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
We had our family meeting yesterday, via zoom. I wanted to bring the family up to date on my wife's progression, in case decisions had to be made if I was not available. Towards the end of the meeting, one of the kids asked me how I was doing with my hypoglycemia. I told them that was one of my big concerns now because I might possibly be going in for surgery (still to be determined), and I wouldn't be able to care for my wife if that happens. In less than 30 seconds my mind was eased. Four of our kids will be taking care of her, and she will have at least two of them with her at all times. Other family members will do whatever else is needed. We're all set, and I feel better. Talk to your family members if you can. You never know what might come up.

Comments

• LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes
    I am happy to hear that your family is supportive and available for you. You are loved beyond measure.
  • French
    French Member Posts: 445
    100 Comments Second Anniversary

I imagine how you are relieved. It a chance to have such a family, but certainly not only a chance, you have raised them. 

During Christmas holidays I wrote to my partner’s family. Parents, sister, brothers and sons. I ask them to be present in 2021. To propose holidays, weekends or just an afternoon to their relative till he still can enjoy it. I propose them to give me dates and we will plan the journey  together.

Father :  I am too old... strange, he plans a week at lanzarote island 

Mother : yes but I want you to include all the family in the decisions... My partner has always been against and we went to the notary to register me as a POA so that he is sure his family won’t decide instead of me

Sister : the same as the mother... but I know she will never help... she only criticize and explains me I need a deep  thérapie 

Brother 1 proposed 1 week in February and will propose another this year. I can count on them but they live very far from here so it’s not easy

Brother 2 come about one Sunday each 2 months and go for hiking with my partner

Son 1 (living in the same town) come 1 hour per week and goes out with his father

Son 2 (living in the same town) explains me he works and doesn’t have time in the week and books his Saturday to visit flats... you could visit with your father... yes but in fact my folder is never retained and I don’t have flats to visit. And what about Sunday. ? No on Sunday I need to rest because I sleep badly and I am tired... yes... it’s not won !

• M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    Ed I am glad the meeting went well and also glad for the update on your condition.  Had been wondering, but haven't wanted to ask.  Fingers crossed for you.  Family support means everything, I'm so glad you have it.
  • Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Ed, Great news! It is a huge help to have family that will step up when needed.
  • SSHarkey
    SSHarkey Member Posts: 298
    Sixth Anniversary 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes 100 Comments
    Good report, Ed! Your family is behind you! Keep up with the updates! It will make them feel more a part and provide you with the continued support we all need!
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

What  a dear family you have, Ed.  That is such good and comforting news.  Now; how are you doing?   We really care about you, you know.

As for your family; wonder if they would adopt me.  I am cheap, and am a good hugger and am very quiet . . . .

J.

• David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary
    Ed, glad you have such special “kids”. You are a very lucky man. It must be a relief to know they have your back, particularly if you need that operation.
  • AlyJo
    AlyJo Member Posts: 19
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments
    So glad you have the support you need through your family.  God Bless
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Thanks, everyone, for your support and concern. I know how lucky I am to have people willing to take the job if necessary, and I wish you all had that kind of support. It is really needed.

I had an appointment with the doctor late yesterday afternoon. Within the last 3 weeks or so, I had one day with very severe stomach cramps, and every day since, there are cramps, but on the mild side, and not constant. The doc said no tumors showed up in the MRI, and he doesn't want to do anything invasive, at least at this time. He ordered medication to take care of gas, which he said I needed. He does not think it was related to hypoglycemia. My sugar seems to be fairly well controlled if I eat properly. So it seems I can still be a caregiver, at least for now.

• abc123
    abc123 Member Posts: 1,171
    Seventh Anniversary 1000 Comments 5 Care Reactions 5 Likes
    Thank you for the update!
  • Paul&Me
    Paul&Me Member Posts: 21
    Seventh Anniversary 10 Comments
    I'm glad your kids were able to set your mind at ease. The same happened for me when I brought up the subject with Paul's oldest. She immediately assured me that she's planning ahead for any visits that may be needed. Peace of mind is priceless. I wish you luck on your medical situation, hope it is resolved for you.
  • amicrazytoo
    amicrazytoo Member Posts: 169
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments
    This is good news Ed. A win for you both!
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Sixth Anniversary 1000 Comments 250 Likes 100 Insightfuls Reactions
    The user and all related content has been deleted.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney
Read more