Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Happy Moments

The dementia journey is full of heartbreak. Yesterday I had happy moments sprinkled into the day that I wanted to share.

The usual routine in our house is I prepare and serve breakfast for DH, I administer meds, I get DH in the shower, I dress DH and then DH retreats into his man cave to watch the news ALL DAY except when he comes out for meals.

I often ask him to engage in other activities such as walks, games, or chilling in the yard. He regularly declines. Of course, when DH declines, it feels like rejection. I know it’s not. I know there is no malice. Lately I am super sensitive because I am extremely lonely and tired.

Yesterday when I asked DH to watch a movie with me, HE SAID YES. We watched the whole movie together. We ate snacks. He smiled and was enjoying himself. To most people I am sure it was an activity and experience taken for granted. For me it was akin to being queen for the day. I was thrilled and still am.

Later that night, DH was talking in his sleep and started giggling. He was smiling in his sleep and looked so happy. Seeing that was the happiest moment in a long, long time.

Happy moments are less frequent, but so dear. I had to share. 

Comments

• Lorita
    Lorita Member Posts: 4,307
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Thank you for posting your happy moments, Lady Texan.  It brought tears to my eyes because I was remembering the happy times I had with Charles.  Little things mean so much to us when they happen.  I do hope you have many more of those.
  • Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions
    Lady, I'm glad you enjoyed your time with him. The little things we used to take for granted are now real moments of joy. Embrace them.
  • Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,671
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Made my heart smile for you.  Thank you for sharing.
  • amicrazytoo
    amicrazytoo Member Posts: 169
    Fifth Anniversary 100 Comments
    LT - Thanks so much for sharing. I find myself being bitter recently and trying really hard to get through the day with "glad" hands. Stories like these makes me feel so good.
  • M1
    M1 Member Posts: 6,710
    1,500 Care Reactions 1,500 Likes 5000 Comments 1,000 Insightfuls Reactions
    I know the feeling LT.  Glad you had it, for whatever time it was there.  You are so good about looking for the positive.....
  • caberr
    caberr Member Posts: 211
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    Thanks for sharing a happy story!
  • David J
    David J Member Posts: 479
    100 Comments Third Anniversary
    It’s really easy to share our pain and frustration here, but we should be sharing our happy moments more like you. Thank you!
  • LadyTexan
    LadyTexan Member Posts: 810
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

Hi David.

Full disclosure: its not all rainbows and lollipops over here. I left out the daily routine that includes cleaning up poop and washing soiled laundry.  

I have learned that when I embrace the good things and happy moments, and celebrate those moments no matter how small, that I can bear the less glamorous (and more heartbreaking) events that fill the day.

I may have mentioned before that I have suffered from severe, recurrent depression since my thirties. I am now 56. Years and years of intense therapy have taught me to feed the good so that the bad and scary and sad feelings don't overwhelm me. It doesn't always work....but it helps. 

I am glad this is a safe place where we can all share the pain and frustration. This disease is relentless. If I couldn't unload and vent here, I would be no good to DH or myself. Its nice when I can share a happy tale too.

Best wishes to all for patience and strength to make it through another day.

You are all caregiver SUPER HEROES! 

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney