Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Covid-19 Vaccine 2nd dose

Just an FYI, my DW and I received our first dose of the Moderna Vaccine in Mid February. Besides a little soreness in our arms, and my wife getting a little rash at the injection site that lasted a couple days there were no other side effects. Sunday March 14th we received our second dose. Again there was no side effect for me besides a little soreness in the arm. Things however were a lot different for my DW. The next day I had a hard time getting her out of bed, she could not walk without assistance (she walks ok on her own, slow but ok),  had a temperature of 100.5, and was in a brain fog all day.  She slept on and off most of the day.  The only reason I am posting this, is that if the tables were turned and my body reacted the way hers did, I don't know if I would have been able to care for her.  For what its worth side effects like this are rare, but I guess they can happen.

The following day she was completely back to normal.  If I had a do-over I certainly would still get the vaccine for sure, but may of developed a prior back-up plan just in case.

Dave

Comments

• Ed1937
    Ed1937 Member Posts: 5,084
    Sixth Anniversary 2500 Comments 500 Likes 250 Care Reactions

Hi Dave. My wife and I had the Pfizer vaccine. First one on Feb. 4, and second one 2 weeks later. Both of our experiences were much like yours with your first shot. But we didn't get a rash. Only minor soreness at the site of injection, and it lasted for 1 day. Both the first and second shots were the same for us. But I did have things covered, just in case that was not to be the case. I think the benefits far outweigh the risks when getting the vaccine.

One of our daughters contracted Covid, and still has symptoms almost 3 months later. She just went in this morning for a second test, just in case a new virus didn't get her. That seems to be unlikely because things are really getting better around here. She will get results tomorrow or next day.

• IWBH1990
    IWBH1990 Member Posts: 20
    Third Anniversary 10 Comments
    I agree Ed, the benefits far outweigh any vaccine risk. One of my Daughter-in-laws contracted the virus, and got very, very ill. Although never hospitalized she is still fighting symptoms 4 weeks later.
  • Joe C.
    Joe C. Member Posts: 944
    Fifth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Dave, Thank you for your heads up. We had the same experience on the first shot, I was fine but DW got a rash. We get our second shot of Moderna on Sunday, on Monday our regular caregiver will be her so if Either one of us are down at least we’ll have help.
  • Mint
    Mint Member Posts: 2,671
    Eighth Anniversary 2500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    This is just FYI for anyone who gets J&J.   Felt fine til about eight hours post shot.  Then had chills, mild headache, mild nausea and dizziness.  Felt much better after about 19 hours.  The chills were not mild, the worst symptom for me.  Not sure what others are experiencing.  Sort of feel like I’m on an island by myself with that vaccine. Everyone else I know received Moderna or Pfizer.
  • Jo C.
    Jo C. Member Posts: 2,916
    Legacy Membership 2500 Comments 100 Insightfuls Reactions 100 Likes

Interesting in that after our first and second Moderna vaccinations, neither DH nor I had a sore arm; husband had no side effects.

On the first post-vaccination day, I had no side effects; but in a delay mode I guess. Next day I noticed I was tired/fatigued, and cold . . . . could not warm up, had fleeting nausea for a few hours, and sore.  Passed within a day or day and a half.  All in all, NOT overwhelming symptoms; they were there, but I did not get knocked down.  Cancelled my post-hospital PT as I would have been half-baked for that I think.

So grateful to have had the vaccinations, now looking forward to the 25th which will be two weeks after second vaccination when it is supposed to be fully kick in, so to speak.

Still have to wear masks and use caution, but it is also releasing regarding safety factors should we still manage to get the virus which I so hope we do not.  We will continue to exercise caution based on the science for however long it is necessary. 

Now if we could get the naysayers refusing to be vaccinated and the dread thoughtless crowds that gather in great numbers at Florida beaches and other celebrations and non-celebrations to stop being knuckleheads and not gather in great crowds and mask, and to get vaccinated; well, our country would be greatly served and further shutdowns avoided.

Heard on news this a.m., that a surge is feared after the next two to three weeks due to gatherings for spring break and St. Patrick's Day; it is always something.

Also just heard on  the news; New Zealand which is at zero cases purchased enough Pfizer vaccine to vaccinate every adult in their country.  They do good work there and most of all; the citizens are compliant.  It evidently is not a "me, me, me" culture.

J.

• Amor Fati
    Amor Fati Member Posts: 1
    Seventh Anniversary First Comment
    Sayra wrote:
    This is just FYI for anyone who gets J&J.   Felt fine til about eight hours post shot.  Then had chills, mild headache, mild nausea and dizziness.  Felt much better after about 19 hours.  The chills were not mild, the worst symptom for me.  Not sure what others are experiencing.  Sort of feel like I’m on an island by myself with that vaccine. Everyone else I know received Moderna or Pfizer.

Our son, who is 49, also had the J&J vaccine. Day of the shot he was fine, but the following day  he had exactly the same symptoms you described—chills, headache, muscle aches, nausea, no fever. It was a Saturday, so he rested the whole day, no energy to do anything. The following day he was fine.

DH and I both had the 1st dose of Moderna. No symptoms. In case we will have a reaction to the 2nd dose, I kept the following days free of appointments.

• Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions
    We got Pfizer.  DW had no problem with either dose.  I got my second 10 hours ago so far so good .

....Update 22 hours no problem
  • Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    A short version of my post of last week.....the day after my second Moderna shot, I passed out cold at the bus stop waiting for my 6 year old granddaughter.  Had my first ambulance ride in 74 years and first ER visit as well.  (Spent 6 hours in the ER.) DH never skipped a beat.  The moral of my story is make sure there is a plan B just in case the caregiver goes down.  Luckily I have kids and grands nearby who all jumped in and held down the fort.  It could have been a messy situation.  In spite of the chaos, I would urge anyone to get the vaccine.  It beats being on a ventilator.
  • caberr
    caberr Member Posts: 211
    Fourth Anniversary 100 Comments
    Thanks for the heads up.  We both get our 2nd moderna vaccine next friday.  I hadn't thought about a backup in case I can't take care of him.  I will reach out and have help stand by.
  • Jeff86
    Jeff86 Member Posts: 684
    Fourth Anniversary 500 Comments 25 Care Reactions 25 Likes

DW had second Moderna shot yesterday.  Seems fine this am, touch wood.

I get my second Pfizer shot next week.

• feudman
    feudman Member Posts: 59
    Eighth Anniversary 10 Comments

This thread confirms what I've been hearing: that the second shot can sometimes result in a 24-36 hour mild to moderate illness in some. Certainly no deterrent. I'd rather pass on a ventilator than a vax. And the growing data on the Astra-Zeneca vax is looking as if the risks are not as concerning as was first thought.

The distribution of this vaccine has been anything but uniform, both in the US & throughout the world. I'm not just talking about the "wealth & privilege" factors. The categories and which ages, risk factors, and particularly occupations (which are "essential") differs bafflingly from state to state & country to country.  Some have secured more than needed (USA), while many third world nations still have none. But after an awkward start, those of us with adequate doses are finally  figuring out how to streamline the process.

In the US, after the initial "get as many shots in arms as possible" push superceded holding out an adequate supply of second doses, and the resulting uncertainty, many states now guarantee your second dose by making an appointment immediately following your first (mine does not). Britain, in contrast, has held fast to "Plan A." Not only have their case numbers dropped an impressive 90% (to the US's 79%), but they have not seen problems delaying the second "jab" (as they call it) up to 3 months. As a result, more health experts are beginning to back this battle plan for countries just receiving their initial doses.

As Jo said, getting everyone onboard has been a problem all along. Some countries have more compliant, patriotic citizens than others (sorry to say the US seems to have dropped down a few rungs). We dont need 100%, but the closer, the better. On a worldwide scale, that's a monumental feat.

• Quilting brings calm
    Quilting brings calm Member Posts: 2,400
    500 Likes 1000 Comments Fourth Anniversary 250 Insightfuls Reactions

I got my first Moderna shot three weeks ago tomorrow. No side  effects that day.  A sore arm for several days, and a severe headache at the base of my skull that started the next day and lasted three days.  Second shot upcoming. Have made sure I have no plans for two or three days beginning that evening. 

My parents got the Pfizer shots and didn’t mention any side effects either time. 

• dayn2nite2
    dayn2nite2 Member Posts: 1,132
    Eighth Anniversary 1000 Comments 25 Insightfuls Reactions 25 Likes
    Jo C. wrote:

Now if we could get the naysayers refusing to be vaccinated and the dread thoughtless crowds that gather in great numbers at Florida beaches and other celebrations and non-celebrations to stop being knuckleheads and not gather in great crowds and mask, and to get vaccinated; well, our country would be greatly served and further shutdowns avoided.

Heard on news this a.m., that a surge is feared after the next two to three weeks due to gatherings for spring break and St. Patrick's Day; it is always something.

It was a perfectly nice sharing of experiences until you decided to announce your feelings about "naysayers" and people who are LIVING instead of hiding in their homes.

You'll never know who is/isn't vaccinated around you unless you require people to show you their "papers."

Enjoy your vaccine.  I am glad you have the CHOICE to take it or not.  
  • lqadams
    lqadams Member Posts: 51
    Legacy Membership 10 Comments 5 Likes
    My husband has Lewy Body dementia.  He tested positive for Covid in early January.  Very mild symptoms.  Received 1st Vaccine 2 weeks ago. Like Joe's DW , the following day he could barely walk. I needed to use PT strap to pull him up to standing position. Difficult time getting him into bed that night. I was very concerned that he would not wake up the next morning. We see neurologist this week. Will ask about getting 2nd dose. Since husband had covid plus the first vaccine, his antibody titer should be good.
  • eaglemom
    eaglemom Member Posts: 521
    Legacy Membership 500 Comments 100 Likes 25 Insightfuls Reactions

I think its good we can all share our personal reactions to receiving the vaccine. Since we are all different we will react / not react differently to the vaccine. We are all just sharing our personal experiences.

Personally we received the Moderna vaccine last Sat. DH commented his arm was a tiny bit sore the next day. I was fine, however day 3 after the vaccine I just felt 'off.' Nothing specific but just didn't feel like myself. The next day I was fine. We are scheduled for our 2nd dosage in April. I'm going to have a plan in place just in case I'm down. I have no hesitancy in receiving the 2nd vaccine.

eagle

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia
MC = Memory Care
AL = Assisted Living
POA = Power of Attorney