Have any questions about how to use the community? Check out the Help Discussion.

Top This

I am a retired microbiologist.  Over 40 yrs in the field I have had to deal with gangrenous body parts, gross sputum/poop/wound/and you name it specimens to be cultured. But my DH almost made me hurl twice this week.  

First:  He had a bowel explosion. Nothing new. Got  him into bathroom, sitting on toilet. I am getting shower seat etc ready for him to get showered and cleaned up. I turn and I notice him wiping his behind, seeing something on his fingers and licking them!!!

Then, next day: we have a stray cat that I feed.  I put food out st 6 p.m.  Next morning it hadn't been touched, so I set it on patio table out of our dogs' reach. I forgot about it.  About 4 p.m. I send DH out to table while I get beverages.  Step out on patio and,  you guessed it, he is eating the gross old cat food!!

I am living with a 230 lb 2 year old. But,  I'm not even sure my 2 yr old grandson would do such disgusting things.

Comments

• Potsie
    Potsie Member Posts: 45
    10 Comments Second Anniversary
    Oh my gosh, that is pretty disgusting. I am sorry for what you are going through. Once my DH was in the MC facility, nothing he does disgusts me. When he was still home I would wake up to a flooded bathroom with poop smeared all over. I hated having to wake up to a mess. I would feel so bad that I wasn't up to help him. It was impossible to get him in the shower. Now I can go see him everyday and just love him. Sadly, during the pandemic I wasn't able to go in and see him. I would visit outside his window everyday. Sometimes there were feces all over his hands so I would call the nursing staff to come to his room and clean him up. He has declined so much during the time I wasn't able to see him. I wish I could have him at home. I wanted to keep him with me throughout this journey but it was impossible. Hugs to you
  • amybp
    amybp Member Posts: 6
    Fifth Anniversary First Comment

Yikes!  I guess no one could top it!

One of my girlfriends did a couple overnight shifts caregiving for a man with dementia who would try to eat his poop too, so had to have 24 hour personal attention.  I remember praying I never had to deal with that with my DH...and I never did.  Something to be grateful for.

• Beachfan
    Beachfan Member Posts: 790
    Sixth Anniversary 500 Comments 100 Care Reactions 100 Likes
    Yowza!  You can’t make this stuff up.  I have no suggestions for you, only advice.  *Someone* needs to watch that 230lb. 2 year old.  There’s no telling what he could get into next.  Good luck!  It’s exhausting.
  • Crushed
    Crushed Member Posts: 1,442
    Tenth Anniversary 1000 Comments 100 Likes 100 Care Reactions
    2 year olds get a bad rap.  my granddaughter has as yet undetermined genetic cognitive deficits.but she is still a bundle of fun.  Here she decided to steal a family picture 
  • janeymack
    janeymack Member Posts: 55
    Sixth Anniversary 10 Comments
    Crushed - SO cute! You are blessed.

Commonly Used Abbreviations

DH = Dear Husband
DW= Dear Wife, Darling Wife
LO = Loved One
ES = Early Stage
EO = Early Onset
FTD = Frontotemporal Dementia
VD = Vascular Dementia